Solve Timelike Geodesic: Find A & B for Curve

• Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geodesic
In summary, the question is to find ##A## and ##B## such that the specified curve ##t= A tanh^{-1} s## and the given metric ##ds^2=x^2 dt^2 - dx^2## form a timelike geodesic with ##|s| < 1##. After using the Euler-Lagrange equations and setting ##L## to a constant, the conclusion is that we require ##|A| < 1## and ##B \neq 0##. However, the solution gives ##A=\pm 1## and ##B \neq 0##. It is unclear where the constraint ##A=\pm 1## comes from, but it
binbagsss

Homework Statement

The question is to find ##A## and ##B## such that the specified curve (we are given a certain parameterisation , see below) is a timelike geodesic , where we have ##|s| < 1 ##

I am just stuck on the last bit really.

So since the geodesic is affinely paramterised ##dL/ds=0## and so I can set ##L=constant##, ##L ## the Lagrangian of a freely-falling particle.

Let ## L ## be this constant.

And with the specified metric and parameterised curve, which are all given to us, this gives:

##B^2(\frac{A^2-s^2}{1-s^2}) = L ##

This is all fine.

MY QUESTION IS...

2. Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

MY QUESTION IS...

From this I conclude that (since a null curve is given by ##L=0##, a space-like by ## L < 0 ## and a time-like by ##L>0##, since the metric signature in the question is ( +, - ) ) that we require ##|A|<1## since we have ##|s| < 1 ## , and ##B\neq 0 ##, however the solution gives:

we need ##A=\pm 1 ## and ##B\neq 0 ##.
I don't understand where ##A=\pm 1 ## comes from, I thought we just need it such that ##L > 0## and ##A=\pm 1 ## does this

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not given us the full problem. You have forgotten to specify the given curve and metric.

Orodruin said:
You have not given us the full problem. You have forgotten to specify the given curve and metric.

I know, I am pretty sure theyre not needed, it is just the final conclusion described above that I am stuck on. but I will post them now.

curve ## t= A tanh^{-1} s ## , ##x=B(1-s^{2})^{1/2}##
metric : ##ds^2=x^2 dt^2 - dx^2 ##

Last edited:
Did you try inserting the curve into the geodesic equations for the given metric?

Orodruin said:
Did you try inserting the curve into the geodesic equations for the given metric?

the question was completed using the euler-lagrange equations. One replaced with setting ##L## to a constant as above, the other the E-L equation for ##t## which gave no new constraints on ##A## and ##B## .

It is just the conclusion as I say in OP that I am on stuck on.

Related to Solve Timelike Geodesic: Find A & B for Curve

What is a timelike geodesic?

A timelike geodesic is a path in spacetime that represents the motion of a particle with a nonzero mass. It is the shortest path between two points in spacetime and is unaffected by external forces.

What is the significance of finding A & B for a timelike geodesic?

A & B represent the coefficients of the geodesic equation, which describes the path of a timelike geodesic. By solving for A & B, we can determine the specific path that a particle with a nonzero mass would take through spacetime.

How do you solve for A & B in a timelike geodesic?

To solve for A & B, we use the geodesic equation and the given initial conditions (such as the starting point and the four-velocity of the particle). This typically involves solving a system of differential equations.

What factors affect the path of a timelike geodesic?

The path of a timelike geodesic is affected by the curvature of spacetime, the mass of the particle, and the initial conditions. In general relativity, the presence of massive objects causes spacetime to curve, which in turn affects the motion of particles.

What is the difference between a timelike geodesic and a spacelike geodesic?

A timelike geodesic represents the path of a particle with a nonzero mass, while a spacelike geodesic represents the path of a massless particle (such as a photon). Timelike geodesics are affected by the curvature of spacetime, while spacelike geodesics are not.