Solve Titration Problem: pH of Initial, Equiv., Mid & End Point

• Thread starter lazybone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the problem involves titrating 60ml of .15M HNO3 with .45M NaOH. The pH of the initial point is 0.8, and the pH of the equivalent point is 7. The pH of the mid point can be calculated using the equation nacid=nbase, and the result is 1.2. The pH of the end point cannot be determined without information about the detection method.
lazybone
[Urgent] Titration Problem!

Homework Statement

Titrate 60ml of .15M of HNO3 with .45M NaOH.
A) Give pH of Initial Point.
B) Give pH of Equivalent Point.
C) Give pH of Mid Point.
D) Give pH of End point.

Homework Equations

nacid=nbase

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I think I did this right.
HNO3-> H + NO3
Strong Acid = 100% dissociated
pH= .8
B)nacid=nbase
(.15M)(.06L)=(.45M)x L
= .02L~20ml
C) I'm stuck here. Strong acid+ strong base = 1/2 neutralization.
?/(.06+.02/2) =
I don't get how I get the top part of that equation. The answer was said to be, .064M H+. pH = 1.2.
D) Strong Acid + Strong Base = H20, pH = 7.

Please help! I have a test this tuesday.

Physics news on Phys.org

You have not answered B, volume is not pH.

C is just an excess reagent questions. Compare this pH calculation question.

D doesn't make much sense as asked. End point depends on the detection method, if you are not told how it was detected, you can't say at what pH it was detected.

Related to Solve Titration Problem: pH of Initial, Equiv., Mid & End Point

What is titration and why is it important in scientific research?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a solution of known concentration. It is important in scientific research because it allows for precise and accurate measurements of unknown concentrations, which is crucial for many experiments and analyses.

How do you calculate the pH at different points of a titration?

The pH at different points of a titration can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. This equation relates the pH to the concentration of the acid and its conjugate base. Simply plug in the concentrations of the acid and base at each point of the titration to calculate the pH.

What is the significance of the midpoint in a titration?

The midpoint in a titration is the point at which equal amounts of acid and base have been added. At this point, the pH is equal to the pKa of the acid, which is the pH at which the acid is half dissociated. This information can be used to determine the strength of the acid and its buffering capacity.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a titration?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of a titration, including incorrect calibration of equipment, human error in measuring volumes, contamination of solutions, and incomplete reactions. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use precise equipment to minimize these sources of error.

How can titration be used in real-world applications?

Titration is commonly used in the production of pharmaceuticals, food and beverages, and water treatment. It is also used in environmental monitoring, quality control, and research in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and medicine. Titration allows for precise and accurate measurements, making it a valuable tool in many industries and research areas.