Solve Torques and Tensions Homework for Monkey on Bar

• Thread starter TA1068
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torques
In summary: If you place the pivot point at the place where T_2 connects to the bar, you get the same result as if you place it at the pivot point itself.
TA1068

Homework Statement

A horizontal uniform bar of mass m and length L is hung horizontally on two vertical strings. String 1 is attached to the end of the bar and string 2 is attached a distance L/4 from the other end. A monkey of mass m/2 walks from one end of the bar to the other. Find the tension T_1 in string 1 at the moment that the monkey is halfway between the ends of the bar.

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau = rFsin\theta[/tex]
[tex]F_thrust = ma_t = mr\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In all honesty, I'm really not too sure where to start.
I drew a diagram of what is going on. I know at least that the tensions are going to add up to (3/2)mg, since there is the m of the bar pulling down and also the m/2 of the monkey pulling down and the system is in equilibrium.

So: [tex]T_1 + T_2 = 1.5mg[/tex]
Becomes: [tex]T_1 = 1.5mg - T_2[/tex]

Do I have to choose a pivot point? I was thinking where [tex]T_2[/tex] connects to the bar, because it was an answer to a question leading up to this, but I'm not exactly sure why? What effect does placing the pivot point here have in relation to [tex]T_2[/tex]?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops! I forgot to attach my image. Here it is attached, and if that doesn't work I uploaded it as well.

img229.imageshack.us/img229/1795/tensionwm2.jpg

Attachments

• Tension.JPG
    Tension.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 796
Hi TA1068,

Whereever you place your pivot point, if there is a force (or more than one) acting at that point then that force produces no torque about that point (because the lever arm is zero). So that force or forces will not appear in the torque equation for that pivot point.

Because of that, quite often a good choice for the pivot point is at the place where an unknown force is acting because your equation will then have one less unknown variable.

So choosing the pivot point at the place where T2 pulls on the bar is a good choice. What do you get?

Last edited:

Related to Solve Torques and Tensions Homework for Monkey on Bar

1. What is a torque and how is it calculated?

A torque is a measure of the amount of force applied to an object that causes it to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does the tension in a rope affect the torque?

The tension in a rope can affect the torque by changing the force applied to the object and/or the distance from the axis of rotation. If the tension increases, the force applied also increases, resulting in a larger torque. Similarly, if the tension decreases, the torque will decrease as well.

3. Can you determine the tension in a rope based on the torque?

Yes, the tension in a rope can be determined using the equation T = F x r, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does the position of the rope affect the torque?

The position of the rope can affect the torque by changing the distance from the axis of rotation. The closer the rope is to the axis of rotation, the smaller the torque will be, and vice versa.

5. What factors can affect the tension and torque in a system?

The factors that can affect tension and torque in a system include the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, the position of the rope, and the weight and size of the object being rotated. Friction and the strength of the rope can also play a role in determining the tension and torque.