Solve Tricky Trig Problem Homework

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, a student was stuck on a complicated trig identity while trying to help a friend with their summer homework. The identity in question was cos(x)/(1-tan(x)) + sin(x)/(1-cot(x)) = cos(x) + sin(x). The student attempted to simplify it to (cos(x)-sin(x))/(sec^2(x)-2tan(x)) - (cos(x)-sin(x))/(csc^2(x)-2cot(x)) = cos(x)+sin(x), but was unsure of how to proceed. Another student suggested expressing all trig functions in terms of sin(x) and cos(x) and then showing the two sides are equal.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

All right, so I was trying to help a friend prove a certain (complicated) trig identity for summer homework, but I got stuck myself... hopefully one of you will be able to help.

The trig identity in question is...

[tex]\frac{cos(x)}{1-tan(x)} + \frac{sin(x)}{1-cot(x)} = cos(x) + sin(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

1+tan^2(x)=sec^2(x)
1+cot^2(x)=csc^2(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've gotten it to...

[tex]\frac{cos(x)-sin(x)}{sec^2(x)-2tan(x)} - \frac{cos(x)-sin(x)}{csc^2(x)-2cot(x)} = cos(x)+sin(x)[/tex]

But although I think that's a really nice form (two very similar terms), I have no idea where to go from there. Could one of you help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would first express all of the trig functions in terms of sin(x) and cos(x) and then show the two sides are equal. It's pretty straightforward.

I would multiply the first fraction by
[tex]\frac{1 + \tan \,x}{1 + \tan \,x}[/tex]
and multiply the second fraction by
[tex]\frac{1 + \cot \,x}{1 + \cot \,x}[/tex].

FAQ: Solve Tricky Trig Problem Homework

What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

What is a Trigonometry Problem?

A Trigonometry Problem is a mathematical question that involves using the principles of Trigonometry to find missing angles or sides of a triangle.

How Do I Solve a Tricky Trigonometry Problem?

To solve a tricky Trigonometry problem, you should first identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, use the appropriate Trigonometric function (sine, cosine, or tangent) and apply it to the given triangle to find the missing angle or side.

What are Some Tips for Solving Tricky Trigonometry Problems?

Some tips for solving tricky Trigonometry problems include drawing a diagram, labeling the given information, and always checking your answer with a calculator or by using another method.

Why is Trigonometry Important?

Trigonometry is important because it has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, architecture, physics, and navigation. It also helps to understand and solve complex mathematical problems.