Solve Trig Quadrant Help: cos(-65°)

• Thread starter Krypto78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the task was to determine the quadrant for the angle -65° and the equation used was -cos(360-θ). The final answer was 0.423 and there was some confusion about whether it was in the 2nd or 4th quadrant. The explanation given was that negative angles move clockwise starting from the same point on the x-axis. The final conclusion was that -65° is in the 4th quadrant.
Krypto78

Homework Statement

Determine the following and state quadrant.

cos(-65°)

Homework Equations

I make this the 2nd quadrant.

The Attempt at a Solution

where:-
-cos(180 - θ)
-cos ( 180 - (-65))
-cos245
= 0.423

however i wasnt sure if it lied in the 4th quadrant
so:-
-cos(360 - θ)
-cos ( 360 - (-65))
-cos425
= 0.423

Can anyone help me understand this PPPPUUUUURRRRRRLEASE. :confused:

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
This will be an easy one to answer if you know how the angles move.

Basically you start on the positive x-axis and travel in a circle in a counter-clockwise fashion. So at 10o you'll be in the 1st quadrant and very close to the x-axis. At 45o you're half way between the x-axis and y-axis in the 1st quadrant. At 90o you're now on the positive end of the y-axis. You continue to move counter-clockwise and now you've hit the 2nd quadrant.

Negative angles however are defined as starting at the same point on the x-axis but instead you now move clockwise, so at -10o you're suddenly in the 4th quadrant.

Sorry for the late response.

Thank you for the reply all sorted now thanks to ya:)

So you have realized that -65° is in the fourth quadrant, not the second?

Yes i got there in the end. Problem is I am doing a self study course and the notes are horrific. Wish i had knuckled down when education was free.

Related to Solve Trig Quadrant Help: cos(-65°)

What is the cosine of -65 degrees?

The cosine of -65 degrees is approximately -0.42262.

What quadrant is -65 degrees in?

-65 degrees is in the third quadrant.

How do I solve for the cosine of -65 degrees?

To solve for the cosine of -65 degrees, you can use the unit circle or a calculator. First, find the reference angle by subtracting 360 degrees from -65 degrees to get 295 degrees. Then, use the cosine function to find the cosine of 295 degrees. Alternatively, you can use the calculator's cos function and input -65 degrees directly.

Why is the cosine of -65 degrees negative?

The cosine of an angle is negative in the second and third quadrants. Since -65 degrees is in the third quadrant, the cosine is negative.

What is the related acute angle for -65 degrees?

The related acute angle for -65 degrees is 65 degrees. This is because the reference angle for -65 degrees is 295 degrees, and 295 degrees is the complement of 65 degrees.

Back