Solve Un Subseteq U2n | Roots of Unity Proof

In summary, the conversation discussed how to show that Un is a subset of U2n for every positive integer n. The two equations for Un were provided and the attempt at a solution was described, which involved comparing the two sets and using the theta values to deduce the subset relationship. Ultimately, it was determined that starting with z^n= 1 and showing that z^{2n}= 1 is the correct approach. This was demonstrated by squaring both sides of the equation and showing that z must also be an element of U2n.
jr16
Hey everyone! I would really appreciate some help with this problem. I have been racking my brain for hours now, and nothing seems to work/convince me.

Homework Statement

Show that Un [itex]\subseteq[/itex] U2n for every positive integer, n.

Homework Equations

[1] Un = {z ε ℂ, zn = 1}
[2] Un = {cos([itex]\frac{2m\pi}{n}[/itex]) + i sin([itex]\frac{2m\pi}{n}[/itex])}

The Attempt at a Solution

First I started out by comparing the two sets using the first equation:
(i)zn = 1

(ii)z2n = 1
(zn)2 = 1
zn = [itex]\sqrt{1}[/itex]
zn = [itex]\pm[/itex]1
But I was not sure if that was enough to show one is a subset of the other

So, then I tried using the second formula
(i) [itex]\Theta[/itex]n = [itex]\frac{2m\pi}{n}[/itex]

(ii) [itex]\Theta[/itex]2n = [itex]\frac{m\pi}{n}[/itex]

I hoped I could somehow deduce that given the above theta values, one must be a subset of the other

But unfortunately, I am not sure if I am going about this proof in the right manner. I would really love any guidance you could give me. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is pretty much as straightforward as you've described. Pick z in Un = {z : zn = 1}. Then you want to show z is in U2n.

You are going at it backwards. You want to start with [itex]z^n= 1[/itex] and show that [itex]z^{2n}= 1[/itex].

So, I let z be an element of the set Un, where zn = 1.
Then, by squaring both sides I get:
(zn)2 = 12
z2n = 1

Therefore, z must also be an element of the set U2n.

Is this correct?

Yep.

FAQ: Solve Un Subseteq U2n | Roots of Unity Proof

1. What is the meaning of "Solve Un Subseteq U2n"?

Un Subseteq U2n refers to a set of solutions for a mathematical problem where the elements of the set are all contained within the set of roots of unity, U2n.

2. What is the significance of solving Un Subseteq U2n?

Solving Un Subseteq U2n can help us understand the relationship between the roots of unity and the solutions to a mathematical problem. It can also provide insight into the properties and behavior of these solutions.

3. How are the roots of unity related to solving Un Subseteq U2n?

The roots of unity are the key to solving Un Subseteq U2n because they are the building blocks of the set of solutions. The solutions are all expressed as combinations of these roots of unity.

4. What is the proof behind solving Un Subseteq U2n?

The proof involves showing that all the elements of the set Un Subseteq U2n satisfy the given mathematical problem. This is typically done by substituting the roots of unity into the equation and showing that they produce valid solutions.

5. How can solving Un Subseteq U2n be applied in real-life situations?

Solving Un Subseteq U2n can be applied in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, cryptography, and physics. It can also be used to solve practical problems, such as finding the roots of a polynomial equation or predicting the behavior of a complex system.