Solve Water Waves Problem: Amplitude, Wavelength, Frequency, Speed

In summary, the figure shows water waves traveling between two points P and Q, 20.0 cm apart. A dust particle on the water surface makes 5 complete oscillations in 2.0 s. The amplitude is 4 cm and the frequency is 2.5 Hz. The wavelength is 8 cm. The formula v = λf can be used to calculate the speed of the waves.
songoku

Homework Statement

The figure shows water waves traveling between two points P and Q, 20.0 cm apart. A dust particle on the water surface makes 5 complete oscillations in 2.0 s.
wave.jpg

What is :
i. The amplitude;
ii. The wavelength;
iii. The frequency;
iv. The speed of the waves ?

Homework Equations

[tex]v=\lambda f[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i. amplitude = 4 cm

ii. I don't understand the question. The question states that "A dust particle on the water surface makes 5 complete oscillations" and I think there should be 5 waves, but in the picture there are only 2.5 waves.
The answer on the book is 8 cm. I guess it's from [tex]\lambda=\frac{20}{2.5}[/tex]

But the answer for frequency is 2.5 Hz. I guess it's from [tex]f=\frac{5\;\text{waves}}{2\;s}[/tex]

So I confused whether there are 2.5 waves or 5 waves.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

the information "5 oscillations per 2 seconds" is not linked to the picture

therefore the 8cm is correct, there are only 2.5 waves

you wrote down the formula you need;

v= lambda f

therefore using the information as you quite rightly said the frequencey is 2.5 Hz, frequency is after all number of oscillations per second

now you have the wavelength & frequency, the speed should be easy to work out

Last edited:

Hi Chewy0087

Ah I get it now. The information "5 oscillations per 2 seconds" is not about the picture but it's still related to the question because we can't determine the frequency just based on the picture.

Thanks

Related to Solve Water Waves Problem: Amplitude, Wavelength, Frequency, Speed

What is the amplitude of a water wave?

The amplitude of a water wave is the maximum displacement of the water surface from its undisturbed position. It is measured in meters.

How is the wavelength of a water wave defined?

The wavelength of a water wave is the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that are in phase, or at the same point in their cycle. It is measured in meters.

What is the frequency of a water wave?

The frequency of a water wave is the number of complete waves that pass a certain point in a given amount of time. It is measured in hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

How are wavelength and frequency related in water waves?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely related in water waves. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

What is the speed of a water wave?

The speed of a water wave is the distance the wave travels in a given amount of time. It is calculated by multiplying the wavelength by the frequency. It is measured in meters per second.