Solve Weird Math Question: Find Value of x1+x2+x3+x4+x5/2

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the conversation discusses five positive integers x1, x2, x3, x4, x5 and their possible values in an equation involving square roots. The possible value of (x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5)/2 is either 55 or 110, with data being insufficient to determine the correct answer. The participants suggest making educated guesses at possible values and using the fact that the integers must add up to either 110 or 220.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

There are five positive integers x1,x2,x3,x4,x5 such that:
[tex]\sqrt{x1-1}+2\sqrt{x2-4}+3\sqrt{x3-9}+4\sqrt{x4-16}+5\sqrt{x5-25}=x1+x2+x3+x4+x5[/tex]
Fine the possible value of:
[tex]\frac{x1+x2+x3+x4+x5}{2}[/tex]
a) Data insufficient
b)55
c)110
d) I couldn't exactly remember this option... i think it was greater than 110

I guess, the correct answer is (a). 'cause there is only one equation at my disposal. What o u guys say?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to see if I could make educated guesses at some possible values for x1, x2, ..., x5.
The five integers (x1, ...) are integers, so their sum will be an integer.
The numbers inside the radicals have to be perfect squares, so x1 - 1 has to be a perfect square, which means that x1 could be 2 or 5 or 10 or 17 or ...

Similarly x2 - 4 has to be a perfect square, and x3 - 9 has to be a perfect square, and so on.

You're trying to find the possible value of (x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5)/2. One choice is 55, which means that all five numbers add to 110. The other choice is 110, which means that all five add to 220.

See if this approach will get you somewhere.

I would say that the correct answer is indeed (a) - data insufficient. The given equation only provides one constraint on the five unknown variables, making it impossible to determine a unique value for (x1+x2+x3+x4+x5)/2. Without additional information or equations, we cannot solve this problem and determine the value of (x1+x2+x3+x4+x5)/2.

Related to Solve Weird Math Question: Find Value of x1+x2+x3+x4+x5/2

1. What is the purpose of solving this weird math question?

The purpose of solving this weird math question is to find the value of x1+x2+x3+x4+x5/2. This can help in solving various mathematical problems or equations that involve these variables.

2. How do I approach solving this question?

To solve this question, you can start by adding all the given numbers (x1, x2, x3, x4, x5) together. Then, divide the sum by 2 to find the average. This will give you the value of x1+x2+x3+x4+x5/2.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should add the numbers?

No, there is no specific order in which you should add the numbers. You can add them in any order and the final result will be the same.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this question?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this question. However, it is always recommended to solve mathematical problems by hand to improve your problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any alternate methods to solve this question?

Yes, there are alternate methods to solve this question. For example, you can multiply all the given numbers by 0.5 to find the average, which will also give you the value of x1+x2+x3+x4+x5/2.