Solve ##x^2<4##

RChristenk
Homework Statement
Solve ##x^2<4##
Relevant Equations
Inequalities
Just by inspection, the answer is obviously ##-2<x<2##. But I tried calculating it step by step and couldn't get the negative portion of the inequality.

For ##x>0##, ##x^2<4 \Rightarrow x<2## . Hence ##0<x<2##.

For ##x<0##, ##x^2<4 \Rightarrow x>2##. I flipped the inequality because ##x<0##. But then I get a contradiction: ##x<0## and ##x>2##.

So how do I calculate for the negative part of the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would build ##0>x^2-4=(x-2)(x+2)## and examine the factors.

Likes Orodruin and docnet
RChristenk said:
For ##x<0##, ##x^2<4 \Rightarrow x>2##. I flipped the inequality because ##x<0##.
That is the rule for division by a negative number. You did not divide by ##x##. If you did, you would have ##x \gt 4/x##, which is correct.

@RChristenk there are a couple rules for inequalities you should memorize. In the following it's assumed that ##a \ge 0##.
##x^2 < a \Rightarrow -\sqrt a < x < \sqrt a##
##x^2 > a \Rightarrow x < -\sqrt a \text{ OR } x > \sqrt a##

As already mentioned, one can prove these by factoring ##x^2 - a## and investigating when the product of the factors is negative or when it is positive.

Likes docnet
RChristenk said:
Homework Statement: Solve ##x^2<4##
Relevant Equations: Inequalities

Just by inspection, the answer is obviously ##-2<x<2##. But I tried calculating it step by step and couldn't get the negative portion of the inequality.

For ##x<0##, ##x^2<4 \Rightarrow x>2##. I flipped the inequality because ##x<0##. But then I get a contradiction: ##x<0## and ##x>2##.

There are six cases:
$$x < -2 \implies x^2 > 4$$$$x = -2 \implies x^2 = 4$$$$-2 < x \le 0 \implies x^2 < 4$$$$0 < x < 2 \implies x^2 < 4$$$$x = 2 \implies x^2 = 4$$$$x > 2 \implies x^2 > 4$$This can be seen by drawing the graph of ##y = x^2##:

p0d2rc44.png

Likes docnet
RChristenk said:

You assumed ##x<0## and then contradicted your assumption when you stated ##x>2##.

If ##x<0##, you should have
\begin{align*}x^2<4 \Rightarrow & \,x<2 \Rightarrow -x>-2.\end{align*}
##-x## is a positive quantity so the last inequality gives the lower bound of ##(-2,2)##.

But it would be much clearer to keep ##x## the same: you have ##f(x)=x^2=(-x)^2=f(-x)## so that ##-x<2## and ##x<2## are the two possibilities. The first case gives ##-2<x##, the second case gives ##x<2## and the two cases combine to give the interval ##-2<x<2##.

RChristenk said:

One thing you should learn is that ##\sqrt {x^2} = \lvert x \rvert##. A common misconception is thinking ##\sqrt{x^2}=x##, but that's only true if ##x \ge 0##. Taking the square root of the original inequality, you should get ##\lvert x \rvert < 2##. Now you break it into the two cases, ##x\ge 0## and ##x<0##.

Likes MatinSAR, SammyS, DrClaude and 1 other person