Solved: 1982 Physics Problem B - Calculating Tensions in a Crane Hoist System

• Thread starter NavitaLaVida
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the hook and the load are lifted upward at a constant acceleration of 2 m/s^2. The tension in the lower cable is T1 and the tension in the upper cable is T2.
NavitaLaVida
[SOLVED] 1982 Physics Problem B

A crane is used to hoist a load of mass m1=500 kilograms. The Load is suspended by a cable from a hook of mass m2=50 kilograms, as shown in the diagram above. The load is lifted upward at a constant acceleration of 2 m/s^2.

b)Determine the Tension T1 in the lower cable and the tension T2 in the upper cable as the hook and load are accelerated upward at 2 m/s^2. Use g=10 m/s^2.

FYI: this is the 1982 Question B from an AP Test. So if you can find a link that has an explanation, that would be great. Or, you can solve it that would also be wonderful! thank you soo much

Physics news on Phys.org
It'd be nice to see the diagram as,it may show some information not stated and also,you can take a stab at it and we can try to help you out with it.

i don't have a scanner, so I'm sorry but i don't know how i can show you the diagram. i tried to do this problem, i really need help

erm i sent a pic to you
let me know if you can help

hey rock freak
i figured the second part
it's the first part I'm having trouble with

What answers did you get for the 2nd part?

EDIT: well to do the 2nd part,you'd need to know how the forces are acting. Unless you just guessed. Did you?

physics4-1.jpg

Last edited:
for the second part i used

T1= M1 (g+a)

T2= (M1+M2)(g+a)

it's the first part that I'm not sure about
i get that the force of gravity points down
but what other forces are on it?

NavitaLaVida said:
Tension forces.

NavitaLaVida said:

The only forces to consider are weight and tension. Weight acts downwards so tension must act upwards.

thanks guys!
much appreciated

maybe you all can help me with the resistor problem?

FAQ: Solved: 1982 Physics Problem B - Calculating Tensions in a Crane Hoist System

1. What is "1982 Physics Problem B"?

"1982 Physics Problem B" is a well-known physics problem that was first posed in 1982 as part of a standardized physics exam. It has since gained popularity and is often used as a benchmark for testing students' understanding of advanced physics concepts.

2. What is the difficulty level of "1982 Physics Problem B"?

The difficulty level of "1982 Physics Problem B" is considered to be high, as it requires a strong understanding of various physics principles and the ability to apply them in a complex problem-solving scenario.

3. What are the main topics covered in "1982 Physics Problem B"?

The main topics covered in "1982 Physics Problem B" include kinematics, energy conservation, and projectile motion. It also involves concepts such as vectors, forces, and work done.

4. How can I approach solving "1982 Physics Problem B"?

To solve "1982 Physics Problem B", it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the given information and what is being asked, and then apply relevant physics equations and principles to solve for the unknown variables.

5. Why is "1982 Physics Problem B" considered an important problem?

"1982 Physics Problem B" is considered an important problem because it tests students' ability to apply their knowledge of various physics concepts in a real-world scenario. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in the field of physics and other scientific disciplines.