Solved: Paraxial Wave Equation - Constant Phase Surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the paraxial wave equation and finding an expression for the surfaces with constant phase in a laser beam. The participant attempts to solve the equation by finding a constant phase, but ultimately concludes that the paraxial approximation requires the use of the small angle approximation.
Confundo
paraxial wave equation - Solved

Homework Statement

When a laser beam traveling is traveling in one direction, we can make the paraxial approximation.

Question: Find an expression for the surfaces with constant phase in the beam.

Homework Equations

From a previous part of the question, I had to work out the paraxial wave equation
which
[tex]\nabla^2_{x,y}G - 2ik\frac{\delta G}{\delta z}[/tex]
and confirm that the below was a solution
[tex]G(r, \omega) =\frac{1}{s^2(z)}exp[-\frac{x^2+y^2}{s^2(z)}][/tex]
where [tex]s^2(z) = w_0^2 - \frac{2iz}{k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to find an equation of the form.

[tex]G = Re^{i\phi}[/tex]
[tex]phase = \phi[/tex]
where R = radius of curvature

The complex parts are confusing, the solution/equation isn't spherical so I'm a bit stuck on where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I considered the more general algebraic problem of finding the expression for the constant phase of

[tex]
G=\frac{1}{a-ib}\exp\left(-\frac{c}{a-ib}\right)
[/tex]

I first do the conjugate multiplication thing, so that I'm dealing with sums of real and imaginary parts.

[tex]
G=\left(\frac{a}{a^2+b^2}+i\frac{b}{a^2+b^2}\right)\exp\left(-\frac{ca}{a^2+b^2}-i\frac{cb}{a^2+b^2}\right)
[/tex]

Then I factorize, with my eye on the prize.

[tex]
G=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\exp\left(i\arctan\frac{b}{a}\right)\exp\left(-\frac{ca}{a^2+b^2}\right)\exp\left(-i\frac{cb}{a^2+b^2}\right)
[/tex]

Finally, I collect factors so that I have the standard polar form.

[tex]
G=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\exp\left(-\frac{ca}{a^2+b^2}\right)\exp\left(i\left(\arctan\frac{b}{a}-\frac{cb}{a^2+b^2}\right)\right)
[/tex]

So, a constant phase would require the transcendental equation to be satisfied.

[tex]
\arctan\frac{b}{a}-\frac{cb}{a^2+b^2}=\textrm{constant}
[/tex]

Perhaps the paraxial approximation allows the [itex]\arctan[/itex] to be approximated so that the equation becomes solvable ...

Last edited:
Thanks. Very clever piece of factorising there :). The lecturer said not to be concerned with a long equation.

I wouldn't call that result "a long equation" (even though it is unsolvable). Are you looking for something simpler?

Shouldn't of said long without a reference if I'm studying physics really :). The paraxial approximation allows the small angle approximation to be used.

Confundo said:
The paraxial approximation allows the small angle approximation to be used.
I believe you mean
The paraxial approximation requires the small angle approximation to be used.

FAQ: Solved: Paraxial Wave Equation - Constant Phase Surfaces

1. What is the Paraxial Wave Equation?

The Paraxial Wave Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of a coherent light wave in a medium. It is derived from the more general wave equation and is used to model the behavior of light in optical systems such as lenses and mirrors.

2. What are Constant Phase Surfaces?

Constant Phase Surfaces are imaginary surfaces that have a constant phase of a wave propagating through a medium. In other words, all points on the surface have the same phase value at a specific point in time. These surfaces are important in understanding the behavior of light in optical systems.

3. How is the Paraxial Wave Equation used in optics?

The Paraxial Wave Equation is used to calculate the behavior of light in optical systems, such as lenses and mirrors. It helps determine the phase and amplitude of the light wave as it passes through different mediums and interacts with different optical elements.

4. What are some applications of the Paraxial Wave Equation?

The Paraxial Wave Equation has a wide range of applications in optics and photonics. It is used in designing and analyzing optical systems, such as telescopes, microscopes, and lasers. It is also used in medical imaging, fiber optics, and holography.

5. Are there any limitations to the Paraxial Wave Equation?

Yes, the Paraxial Wave Equation is limited to describing the behavior of light in systems where the angles of propagation are small. This is known as the paraxial approximation. It also does not take into account certain effects such as diffraction and scattering, which may be important in certain optical systems.