Solved: Related Rates - Find Distance & Time Closest Approach

In summary, the two planes will come within 36 nautical miles of each other at the closest point, and the time of closest approach is 5 minutes before the time stated.
Sheneron
[SOLVED] Related Rates

Homework Statement

Two aircraft are in the vicinity of a control center. Both are at the same altitude. Plane 1 is 36 nautical miles from the center and approaching it at a rate of 410 knots. Plane 2 is 41 nautical miles from the center and approaching it at a rate of 455 knots. (One knot is 1 nautical mile per hour)

A) How close will the planes come to each other?
B) How many minutes before the time of closest approach?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to solve this... I keep getting stuck here is what I have done.

[tex] P_1(t)^2 + P_2(t)^2 = D(t)^2[/tex]

take the derivative

[tex] 2P_1(t)P_1'(t) + 2P_2(t)P_2'(t) = 2D(t)D'(t) [/tex]

and then the place where the distance would be a minimum is where D'(t) = 0, but I keep getting stuck here because I don't know either of the two P(t)s. Can someone please help me set this problem correctly? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I still can't figure this out, and I think I am not going about it properly. If someone could help me set it up I would appreciate it. Thanks

You can't do that at all unless you know something about the angle between the two planes approach paths. I'm guessing since you using Pythagoras that they are coming in at right angles? If so then just try to write P1 and P2 as explicit functions of t. They are linear functions (since velocity is constant). Try and start with P1(t). P1(0)=36mi. P1'(t)=410mi/hr, right? What does P1(t) look like?

P1(t) = -410t + 36

Now that I have two explicit functions of t, assuming that I did so correctly, what do I do next?

Sheneron said:
P1(t) = -410t + 36

Great! Now do P2(t) and put them into your equation.

ahhh yes i just saw it I think I have it now!

Thanks... I got it

Related to Solved: Related Rates - Find Distance & Time Closest Approach

What is the related rates problem?

The related rates problem involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, given the relationship between the two variables. In this specific case, we are finding the rate of change of distance with respect to time.

Why is it important to solve related rates problems?

Solving related rates problems allows us to understand how two variables are connected and how changes in one variable affect the other. It is also a valuable skill in many fields of science, such as physics, biology, and engineering, where understanding rates of change is crucial.

What is the process for solving a related rates problem?

The process for solving a related rates problem involves identifying the given information, determining the relationship between the variables, differentiating the equation with respect to time, plugging in the given values, and solving for the unknown rate of change.

What are some common mistakes when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes when solving related rates problems include using incorrect units, misinterpreting the given information, and not setting up the problem correctly. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

Can related rates problems be solved using different methods?

Yes, related rates problems can be solved using different methods, such as using the chain rule, implicit differentiation, or setting up a table of values. The method used may depend on the complexity of the problem and personal preference.

Back