Solv'g Displacement Diff for 2 Points w/ 30 Deg. Phase Diff Given f, v

In summary: Hope that helps!In summary, the conversation discusses a review question on classical waves and how far apart two points are whose displacements are 30 degrees apart in phase. The solution given uses the formula pi/6 = (pi/2)(x2-x1), while the individual's reasoning leads to x2-x1 = 1/3. The expert agrees with the individual's reasoning and suggests another way of thinking about the problem.
tigger88
I've got a review question on classical waves (SHM) where I'm given the frequency as f = 20 (sec^-1) and velocity v = 80m/s.
The question is: How far apart are two points whose displacements are 30 degrees apart in phase?

My own reasoning doesn't seem to agree with the solution I was provided.

Here is my thinking:
Phase = wt +/- kx
For the first point, let x = x1 and t = t.
For the second point, let x = x2 (and t = t)
So then the phase difference would be (wt-kx1) - (wt-kx2) = k(x2-x1).
Then, given v and f, lambda = v/f = 4 m, so k = 2pi/lambda = pi/2.
So phase difference, which is given to be 30 degrees, or pi/6 rad, becomes:
pi/6 = (pi/2)(x2-x1) -where solving for x2-x1 gives an answer of 1/3.

The solution I was given says that the phase difference = 2pi(x2-x1) = pi/6, which gives x2-x1 = 1/12.

I don't understand how the 2pi comes into it!
Could someone tell me where my thinking went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tigger88,

Your answer looks right to me. Another way of thinking about it would be to say that two points with displacement 360 degrees apart in phase would be one wavelength apart in distance, and since 30 degrees is 1/12 of 360 degrees, the distance you're looking for is 1/12 of a wavelength.

I would like to clarify that the phase difference is not equal to the difference in displacement. The phase difference refers to the difference in the phase angle between two points on a wave, while the difference in displacement refers to the difference in their physical positions.

To solve this question, we can use the formula for phase difference, which is given by:
Δφ = 2πΔx/λ
where Δφ is the phase difference, Δx is the difference in displacement, and λ is the wavelength.

Substituting the given values, we have:
Δφ = 30 degrees = π/6 radians (since 1 degree = π/180 radians)
λ = v/f = 80/20 = 4m
Δx = (λ/2π)Δφ = (4/2π)(π/6) = 1/3m

Therefore, the two points are 1/3m apart in terms of their displacement. This means that if one point is at x1 = 0, the other point would be at x2 = 1/3m.

I hope this clarifies your confusion and helps you understand the concept of phase difference better. Remember, always double check your units and make sure you are using the correct formulas for the given quantities.

Related to Solv'g Displacement Diff for 2 Points w/ 30 Deg. Phase Diff Given f, v

1. What is displacement diffusion?

Displacement diffusion is a process in which a substance or particle moves from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, driven by differences in concentration or pressure. It is a type of diffusion that occurs in fluids, gases, and even solids.

2. How is displacement diffusion calculated?

Displacement diffusion can be calculated using Fick's first law, which states that the rate of diffusion is directly proportional to the concentration gradient and the diffusion coefficient. Mathematically, it can be expressed as: J = -D(dc/dx), where J is the flux, D is the diffusion coefficient, and (dc/dx) is the concentration gradient.

3. What is the 30 degree phase difference in displacement diffusion?

The 30 degree phase difference in displacement diffusion refers to the phase angle between two points in a system where diffusion is taking place. It can also indicate the phase shift between the concentration profiles at these two points, which can be used to determine the rate and direction of diffusion.

4. How does velocity affect displacement diffusion?

Velocity can affect displacement diffusion in several ways. A higher velocity can increase the rate of diffusion by increasing the number of collisions between particles, while a lower velocity can decrease the rate of diffusion. Additionally, velocity can also affect the direction and distance of diffusion.

5. What is the relationship between frequency and displacement diffusion?

The relationship between frequency and displacement diffusion is complex and depends on several factors such as the nature of the particles, the medium, and the concentration gradient. In general, higher frequencies can lead to more rapid diffusion, but the exact relationship may vary depending on the specific conditions of the system.