Solving (-2)^(1/2) and (-2)^(1/sqrt(pi)): A Complex Analysis Approach

• Thread starter davedave
  • Start date
In summary, when evaluating (-2)^(1/2), we can use simple concepts in applied complex analysis. It is equal to 2^(1/2) * e^((pi/2) i (2k+1)), where k=0 or 1 for the square root. However, when considering (-2)^(1/square root (pi)), there are an infinite number of values for k. This is because in complex numbers, the "nth" root of a number has n values and an irrational power has an infinite number of values. This means that when evaluating this expression, we have to take into account Riemann surfaces and "cuts".
davedave
let's consider the following simple example with no ambiguity.

To evaluate (-2)^(1/2), we can use simple concepts in applied complex analysis.

it is equal to 2^(1/2) * e^((pi/2) i (2k+1)).

if k=0, i square root (2)
if k=1, -i square root (2)

This one is straightforward since we take k=0, 1 for the square root.

What if we consider the following example with negative two raised to an irrational number.

(-2)^(1/square root (pi))

it is equal to 2^(1/square root (pi)) * e^(square root (pi) i (2k+1))

What could be k? I mean k goes from zero to what value? Is there another way to evaluate this one?

Does anyone know the answer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. In working with real numbers, we define [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] to be "the positive number whose square is a" in order to have a single valued function.

But in complex numbers, things get so complicated we basically have to abandon the "single valued" idea- and wind up talking about things like Riemann surfaces, and "cuts".

In general the "nth" root of a complex number, a, or [itex]a^{1/n}[/itex] has n values. Similarly, a rational root, say [itex]a^{m/n}[/itex] has n values. But any complex number to an irrational power has an infinite number of values.

I'm coming! Let's see what happens

FAQ: Solving (-2)^(1/2) and (-2)^(1/sqrt(pi)): A Complex Analysis Approach

1. What is the definition of "A simple but tricky problem"?

A simple but tricky problem is a problem or task that appears to be straightforward and easy to solve, but in reality, requires careful thinking and complex problem-solving skills to find a solution.

2. How can I identify a simple but tricky problem?

Simple but tricky problems can often be identified by their deceptive nature. They may seem easy at first glance, but as you start to work on them, you may encounter unexpected challenges or roadblocks. These problems also tend to have multiple possible solutions, making them more complex than they initially appear.

3. What are some strategies for solving a simple but tricky problem?

There are several strategies that can be helpful when tackling a simple but tricky problem. These include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, considering different perspectives and approaches, and taking breaks to avoid getting stuck in one line of thinking. It can also be helpful to seek input and advice from others and to use trial and error to test potential solutions.

4. Why is it important to be able to solve simple but tricky problems?

The ability to solve simple but tricky problems is a crucial skill in many fields, including science. These types of problems often require creative and critical thinking, which are essential for making new discoveries and advancements. Being able to solve these problems also helps develop problem-solving skills that can be applied to more complex issues.

5. Can anyone learn to solve simple but tricky problems?

Yes, anyone can learn to solve simple but tricky problems with practice and perseverance. While some people may have a natural aptitude for problem-solving, it is a skill that can be developed and improved upon. It is essential to approach these problems with a growth mindset and be open to learning from mistakes and trying new strategies.