Solving 2.43: Drawing Diagrams & Vector Lengths

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving vector addition without redrawing the diagram. The components of a vector are discussed in terms of its magnitude and angle, and it is explained that all four vectors need to be added together. The final answer is not provided, but the process of finding it is discussed.
Adhil
I need help with 2.43
Is there any way to solve 2.43 without drawing the diagram again? And if I must draw another diagram, will I have to guess and check the length of the vectors since all the vectors are equal?
cb36ea4b9f1a1c6ea4977c3f9f437e36.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You don't need to re-draw the diagram, but you do need to do vector addition: component-wise. Take $\mathbf{T}_1$, for example. You're told it has a magnitude of $T$. Can you write down the components of $\mathbf{T}_1?$

Ackbach said:
You don't need to re-draw the diagram, but you do need to do vector addition: component-wise. Take $\mathbf{T}_1$, for example. You're told it has a magnitude of $T$. Can you write down the components of $\mathbf{T}_1?$
The components of T1 will be T1x+T1y

Adhil said:
The components of T1 will be T1x+T1y

Sorry, I meant can you write down the components of $\mathbf{T}_1$ in terms of its magnitude $T$ and its angle, call it $\theta_1=9^{\circ}$?

Ackbach said:
Sorry, I meant can you write down the components of $\mathbf{T}_1$ in terms of its magnitude $T$ and its angle, call it $\theta_1=9^{\circ}$?
That would be T1=Tsin(9°)+Tcos(9°)

I would write it more like this (to emphasize its vector nature): $\mathbf{T}_1=\langle T \cos(9^{\circ}), T \sin(9^{\circ}) \rangle$, or $\mathbf{T}_1=T\cos(9^{\circ}) \,\hat{\mathbf{i}}+T\sin(9^{\circ}) \,\hat{\mathbf{j}}$.

Right, so then, you'd need to do this for the remaining three vectors. Once you've got all this written down, you can add the vectors together. What do you get?

After removing T as a common factor I got 12500= T(3.27 + 2.05)

Adhil said:
After removing T as a common factor I got 12500= T(3.27 + 2.05)
Which means T=2349.6-lb...is this correct?
... Nvm, it's wrong

Last edited:
Adhil said:
Which means T=2349.6-lb...is this correct?
... Nvm, it's wrong

Right. You need to set $T[\langle \cos(9^{\circ}), \sin(9^{\circ})\rangle + \dots + \langle \cos(51^{\circ}), \sin(51^{\circ})\rangle ] = 12500$. You have to find the magnitude of the vector part.

Ackbach said:
Right. You need to set $T[\langle \cos(9^{\circ}), \sin(9^{\circ})\rangle + \dots + \langle \cos(51^{\circ}), \sin(51^{\circ})\rangle ] = 12500$. You have to find the magnitude of the vector part.
Okay thanks[emoji106]I get it now

Related to Solving 2.43: Drawing Diagrams & Vector Lengths

1. What is the purpose of drawing diagrams when solving 2.43?

The purpose of drawing diagrams is to visually represent the given information and problem in order to better understand and solve the question. Diagrams help to identify any given values, relationships between them, and the steps needed to find the solution.

2. How do you draw a diagram for 2.43?

To draw a diagram for 2.43, you first need to identify the given information and what the question is asking for. Then, use the given values to draw a diagram that accurately represents the problem. Make sure to label all sides and angles, and include any relevant measurements or known relationships between them.

3. What are vector lengths in 2.43?

Vector lengths in 2.43 refer to the magnitude or size of a vector. In other words, it is the distance between the initial and final points of a vector. This can be represented by a straight line in a diagram and is usually denoted by the letter "r".

4. How do you calculate vector lengths in 2.43?

To calculate vector lengths in 2.43, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side of a right triangle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the vector length would be the hypotenuse, and the other two sides would be the x and y components of the vector.

5. Why is it important to consider vector lengths when solving 2.43?

Considering vector lengths is important because it allows us to accurately represent the problem and find the correct solution. In 2.43, vector lengths are often used to calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector, which is essential in understanding and solving the problem at hand.