Solving 2-Force Work and Kinetic Energy Problems

In summary: The magnitude of the forces is 21 Newtons. The equation for work is W=Fnet*d. To find the braking force, you would use the equation F=ma. The change in kinetic energy is KEi+PEi=KEF+PEF.
shimizua

Homework Statement

What is the work done by the two forces together in moving an object a distance of d = 9 m as shown in the diagram? The magnitude of each force is 21 N.
There is a picture that comes with this
http://capa-new.colorado.edu/teacher/capalibrary/Graphics/Gtype12/prob39.gif

Homework Equations

So i know that W==Fnet*d but i am unsure of how to do it with two angles. i also know that work can be found by W=Fcos(theta)d and i have tried both and neither seem to work. I also have a second question that is similar
With brakes fully applied, a 1430 kg car deccelerates from a speed of 83.0 km/hr. What is the work done by the braking force in bringing the car to a stop?

So the way i tried to find this was by doing W=mad and that came up as wrong.

and a second part to that question is
What is the change in kinetic energy of the car

I know that KEI+PEI=KEF+PEF
so would i just do 1.2mvsquared to find the KEF?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The forces simply add.
Calculate each force in the direction of 'd' ( this is equvialent to the length of F in that direction) then add them for the total force.

so for the first question i should do
(21cos(45)*9)+(21cos(45)*9)?

oh nm about the second question i figured out what was wrong. i forgot to make it in m/s and kept it in km/hr. my bad

please can someone help me!

Isn't the change in KE just the initial ke of the car, since it has no ke at the end.

i figured out that second part already, it was the first part that was giving me trouble. the part about what is the work done by the two forces together. i mean would it be 0J since it is technically a 90deg angle?

ok so i was told to do W=Fdcos(theta) but what i am not sure of is do i basically multiply by 2 cause there are two angles or do i just do the one?

Related to Solving 2-Force Work and Kinetic Energy Problems

1. What is the difference between work and kinetic energy?

Work is the amount of force applied to an object over a distance, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. They are related because work is required to change the kinetic energy of an object.

2. How do you calculate work in a 2-force problem?

To calculate work, you need to multiply the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the equation for kinetic energy?

The equation for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. Can you solve 2-force work and kinetic energy problems without knowing the mass of the object?

Yes, you can solve these problems without knowing the mass of the object. This is because the mass cancels out in the equation for work and is not needed in the equation for kinetic energy. However, you will need to know the velocity of the object and the distance it moves.

5. How do you determine the direction of work and kinetic energy in a 2-force problem?

The direction of work and kinetic energy can be determined by looking at the direction of the force and the direction of the object's motion. If the force and motion are in the same direction, the work and kinetic energy will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work and kinetic energy will be negative.

Back