Solving 3 Block and Pulley Homework

In summary, the problem involves a system of three blocks, with block 1 on top of block 2 and connected by a rope to block 3. The pulley is ideal and there is friction between block 1 and 2, as well as between block 2 and the surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction, μ, is equal to the coefficient of static friction between blocks 1 and 2. For part 1, the necessary force to accelerate both blocks 1 and 2 together with a given acceleration, a, is F= (m_1+m_2)a. The maximum friction force for block 1 is given by fs=m_1*g*μ. Part 2 asks for the minimum value of
hjkchorong

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 is on top of a block of mass m2. Block 2 is connected by an ideal rope passing through a pulley to a block of unknown mass m3 as shown. The pulley is massless and frictionless. There is friction between block 1 and 2 and between the horizontal surface and block 2. Assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction between block 2 and the surface, μ, is equal to the coefficient of static friction between blocks 1 and 2.

Q1 : The mass of block 3 has been changed such that block 1 and block 2 are moving together with a given acceleration of magnitude a. What is the magnitude and the direction of the force of friction exerted by block 2 on block 1?

Q2: What is the minimum value of m3 for which block 1 will start to move relative to block 2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part 1, I thought that the force needed to move both block 1 and block 2 would be F= (m_1+m_2)a, but I couldn't think of how I should compute the friction force between block 1 and block 2. I know that the maximum friction force for block 1 is fs=m_1*g*mu

For part 2, I still couldn't get my head around it...

Please help! I'm generally confused with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part 1, can you list all forces acting on block 1, and the necessary force to accelerate it?
Part 2 will follow from part 1.

Related to Solving 3 Block and Pulley Homework

What is the purpose of solving 3 block and pulley homework?

The purpose of solving 3 block and pulley homework is to apply the principles of mechanics and physics to real-life scenarios involving multiple masses and pulley systems. It allows us to understand the relationships between forces, motion, and energy in a practical setting.

What are the key concepts involved in solving 3 block and pulley homework?

The key concepts involved in solving 3 block and pulley homework include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of momentum and energy, and the relationships between forces, mass, and acceleration. It also requires an understanding of vector calculations and trigonometry.

What are the common challenges students face when solving 3 block and pulley homework?

Some common challenges students face when solving 3 block and pulley homework include correctly identifying all the forces acting on each block, understanding the direction and magnitude of these forces, and properly setting up and solving equations of motion. Another challenge may be understanding the role of friction in the system.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for 3 block and pulley homework?

To improve your problem-solving skills for 3 block and pulley homework, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and principles. Practice drawing free body diagrams, setting up and solving equations of motion, and identifying the key variables in the problem. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from your professor or tutor if you are struggling with a specific problem.

Are there any real-life applications for solving 3 block and pulley problems?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for solving 3 block and pulley problems. Pulley systems are commonly used in construction, elevators, and cranes to lift heavy objects. They are also used in exercise equipment, such as weight machines, and in some types of vehicles, such as bicycles. Understanding the principles of 3 block and pulley systems can also be useful in designing and optimizing mechanical systems.