Solving 8 Band k.p Model for AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW

• Thread starter rezaoliaee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Band Model
In summary: Hi,I am trying to model a type II GaSb/InAs superlattice through the 8 band k.p method in MATLAB...I have studied general quantum mechanics but have no background in coding. I need to calculate the bandstructure and the CB,VB wavefunctions...can anyone provide me with a sample code for better understanding?? thank you.Best regards.
rezaoliaee
hi ,
I am working on bandstructure of AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs Quantum well with 8 band k.p method , but the results for CB,LH,HH and spin orbit splitting are different from other sources, for example CB energy for Al0.25Ga0.75As/GaAs
(barrier and well width=50 A) with my program is 49.83 meV whereas the correct result is 73.175 meV.I have worked about two weeks to troubleshoot every mistake that might be there in the program but I really don,t know what is the source of problem ?
I will be so happy that someone help me or introduce the complete reference about the 8 band k.p method for Quantum wells .

Physics news on Phys.org
Post your code or reference to the theory that you are using, there are many [itex] 8\times 8 \vec{k}*\vec{p} [/itex] variants. I can think of things you may not have done that will affect your answers significantly.

hi,
Thanks for your response.

I sent 4*4 valence band k.p model MATLAB files and articles that I have used.please response me, what's the problem of codes and if possible send me another MATLAB file that I can use it for compare.

Thanks.
Best regards.

Attachments

• matlab files.zip
    4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • PhysRevB.36.5887.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,447
rezaoliaee said:
hi,
Thanks for your response.

I sent 4*4 valence band k.p model MATLAB files and articles that I have used.please response me, what's the problem of codes and if possible send me another MATLAB file that I can use it for compare.

Thanks.
Best regards.

It'll take me a little time to look thru everything. It has been a while since I looked at these problems (5-10 years or so).

Hi, I am working on band structure of SC heterostructures using 8x8 K.P method and i do have some variations in experimental results. can anyone please help me by sending me his version of the program. Thank you.

Hi, I am trying to model a type II GaSb/InAs superlattice through the 8 band k.p method in MATLAB...I have studied general quantum mechanics but have no background in coding. I need to calculate the bandstructure and the CB,VB wavefunctions...can anyone provide me with a sample code for better understanding?? thank you.

Related to Solving 8 Band k.p Model for AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW

1. What is the 8 Band k.p model and how does it relate to AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW?

The 8 Band k.p model is a mathematical model used to describe the electronic band structure of semiconductors. It takes into account the crystal potential and the spin-orbit interaction, and is commonly used to study the properties of quantum wells (QWs). AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW is a specific type of QW structure composed of layers of AlxGa1-xAs and GaAs, where x is the fraction of Al in the alloy.

2. What is the significance of solving the 8 Band k.p model for AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW?

Solving the 8 Band k.p model for AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW allows us to accurately predict the electronic band structure and energy levels of the QW. This information is crucial for understanding the optical and electrical properties of the material, which is important for applications in optoelectronics and semiconductor devices.

3. How is the 8 Band k.p model solved for AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW?

The 8 Band k.p model is solved using a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental data. The model involves solving a set of coupled differential equations, which can be done using computer programs and numerical methods. The results are then compared to experimental data to validate the accuracy of the model.

4. What are the main challenges in solving the 8 Band k.p model for AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW?

One of the main challenges in solving the 8 Band k.p model is accurately determining the material parameters, such as the band gap and effective mass, for the specific AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW being studied. These parameters can vary depending on the composition of the alloy and the growth conditions, making it important to use precise experimental data and calculations. Another challenge is the computational complexity of the model, which requires high-performance computers and specialized software.

5. What are the potential applications of the 8 Band k.p model for AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW?

The 8 Band k.p model for AlxGa1-xAs/GaAs QW has numerous applications in the field of semiconductor devices. It can be used to design and optimize QW-based devices such as lasers, detectors, and modulators. The model can also provide insight into the electronic properties of the material, which is useful for further research and development in the field of nanoelectronics and quantum computing.