Solving 8 Flag Placement Problem on 3 Poles

In summary, the problem is asking how many ways you can place 8 distinct flags on 3 distinct poles without leaving any pole empty. One approach to solving this is by selecting 3 flags out of 8 and permuting them on the poles, then placing the remaining 5 flags on any of the poles. This results in a total of 8C3 * 3! * 3^5 possible combinations. However, this solution does not account for the possibility of having 2 flagged flags and one empty pole, which would require more combinations to be added.
Punkyc7
How many ways can you place 8 distinct flags on 3 distinct poles if no pole can be empty.Im not sure how to approach this problem because writing out all the possibilities would take a lot of time
So I was thinking it would be something like

8C3 to select the three flags that have to be placed.

Then you could take any permutation of the flags on the poles to get 3!

From there I was thinking that you could take the remaining flags and just place them on any of the poles

This is what I got

8C3 * 3!* 3^(5)

I am not sure if it is right though

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
clarify the problem

"how many ways and you..."

what does that mean?

meant to same can you

I think it's a combinatorics problem, it doesn't say how the poles are arranged.

The poles don't move the flags on the poles move

Punkyc7 said:
The poles don't move the flags on the poles move

Oh sorry I was thinkig about a stand.

In that case I think 8C3 isn't wrong.

At least part of it is right...I just don't know how to verify it. I was thinking something with T numbers but I couldn't see how to work them in. So I just thought of what you could do.

Punkyc7 said:
At least part of it is right...I just don't know how to verify it. I was thinking something with T numbers but I couldn't see how to work them in. So I just thought of what you could do.

Here is how I think about it. If it removes the condition that it can have 2 flagged flags and one empty pole, then you got to add more combinations.

huh? what do you mean?

Last edited:

FAQ: Solving 8 Flag Placement Problem on 3 Poles

1. How many possible solutions are there for the 8 Flag Placement Problem on 3 Poles?

There are a total of 6 possible solutions for this problem. These solutions can be found by using different combinations of the flags on the poles.

2. Is there a specific order in which the flags need to be placed on the poles?

Yes, there is a specific order in which the flags need to be placed on the poles in order to solve the problem. This order is: Red, White, Blue, Red, White, Blue, Red, White.

3. Can the solution for this problem be found using a mathematical formula?

No, there is no mathematical formula that can directly solve this problem. However, there are certain patterns and strategies that can be used to determine the solution.

4. Is it possible to solve this problem with more than 8 flags?

Yes, this problem can be solved with any number of flags as long as the number of flags is divisible by 3.

5. How does this problem relate to real-life situations?

This problem is a simplified version of the mathematical problem known as the "Tower of Hanoi". It has applications in computer algorithms, game theory, and even in logistics and transportation planning.