Solving a 1200 N Uniform Boom Physics Problem

• Thread starter chaddunn
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks for the tension in a cable that connects a 1200 N uniform boom to a horizontal and vertical reaction force, and the solution is to set up the problem with vectors and solve for the tension.
chaddunn
I've been trying to find the answer for a good hour and a half now.

It involves a 1200 N uniform boom that is supported by a cable perpendicular to the boom. The cable makes a 25 degree angle to the horizontal and hooks up at 3/4 of the entire length of the boom. The boom hinges and makes a 65 degree angle to the horizontal. There's a weight that hangs from the top of the boom that's 2500 N. I'll try to illustrate it a bit:

|
| _
|..._
|..._ ../|
|.../ |
|.../ []
____/

(at least as good an illustraton as my physics teacher can make)

I need to find the tension of the cable that connects the boom to the wall and the horizontal and vertical components of the reaction force exerted on the boom by the hinge. I don't really need an answer, just an explanation of how to find them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
chaddunn said:
I've been trying to find the answer for a good hour and a half now.

It involves a 1200 N uniform boom that is supported by a cable perpendicular to the boom. The cable makes a 25 degree angle to the horizontal and hooks up at 3/4 of the entire length of the boom. The boom hinges and makes a 65 degree angle to the horizontal. There's a weight that hangs from the top of the boom that's 2500 N. I'll try to illustrate it a bit:

|
| _
|..._
|..._ ../|
|.../ |
|.../ []
____/

(at least as good an illustraton as my physics teacher can make)

I need to find the tension of the cable that connects the boom to the wall and the horizontal and vertical components of the reaction force exerted on the boom by the hinge. I don't really need an answer, just an explanation of how to find them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Try setting up the problem with vectors. The sum must equal 0 for static equilibrium.

apmcavoy said:
Try setting up the problem with vectors. The sum must equal 0 for static equilibrium.

I understand that I should use vectors and that net torque is 0...

Unfortunately, I can't seem to apply it to this problem.

I know the tension will a force that contributes to the torque, but I don't understand how to fin the displacement or find any other variables involved.

chaddunn said:
I know the tension will a force that contributes to the torque, but I don't understand how to fin the displacement or find any other variables involved.

If the net torque around a point is zero, then they are zero around all points. So, I think this would let you put the pivot at the hinge. Wouldn't that make the torque calculation simpler?

The rest is just adding up the F_x forces and the F_y forces.

Dot

Dorothy Weglend said:
If the net torque around a point is zero, then they are zero around all points. So, I think this would let you put the pivot at the hinge. Wouldn't that make the torque calculation simpler?

The rest is just adding up the F_x forces and the F_y forces.

Dot

Thanks, I'll try it.

FAQ: Solving a 1200 N Uniform Boom Physics Problem

1. How do I approach solving a 1200 N uniform boom physics problem?

To begin solving a 1200 N uniform boom physics problem, you should first identify the known values such as the mass, length, and angle of the boom. Then, draw a free body diagram and use the principles of equilibrium to set up and solve the equations.

2. What is the equation for calculating the force of a uniform boom?

The equation for calculating the force of a uniform boom is F = mgcosθ, where F is the force, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the boom.

3. How do I determine the angle of a uniform boom in a physics problem?

The angle of a uniform boom can be determined by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle can also be found by measuring the length and height of the boom and using the inverse tangent function.

4. What is the significance of a uniform boom in physics?

A uniform boom is a common type of object used in physics problems because it allows for simplification of calculations. It is a straight, rigid object with a constant mass and weight distribution, making it easier to analyze and apply the principles of equilibrium.

5. Can a uniform boom experience rotational equilibrium?

Yes, a uniform boom can experience rotational equilibrium. This means that the sum of the torques acting on the boom is equal to zero, resulting in no rotational motion. It is important to consider both translational and rotational equilibrium when solving a 1200 N uniform boom physics problem.

Back