Solving a Circuit Problem with SPDT Switches

In summary, the conversation discusses using a circuit with two SPDT switches in phase and using another SPDT switch to activate them simultaneously. The possibility of using a double pole double throw switch or rotary switches is mentioned, along with suggestions for finding suppliers. The use of an SPDT switch in conjunction with a DPDT switch or a DPDT relay is also suggested.
frenchero
Hi,

Here is my problem, I am using a circuit with two SPDT switches that I would need to make work in phase.
I would like to activate the two SPDT switches with an another SPDT switch in order to put the two first PDT in one position at the same time (the use of only one external switch is very important). For example when I push the external switch on L1 position the two SPDT in my circuit will go also on L1 position.

I would like to know how to do it in a fancy and compact way and without using and integrated circuit if possible. Is it feasible? Can I buy switch without the big mechanical part as i don't need it for the two I want to use in my circuit?

I hope I was clear I've atached a scheme of my circuit.

Thanks!

Attachments

• electronic circuit.doc
    25 KB · Views: 211
Engineering news on Phys.org
thank you! I am not reaaly an expert in electronics!
and do you know a site that references suppliersfor this?

You would probably either want to use an SPDT switch (in addition to the DPDT that vk6kro suggested) or get a 3-position (center off) DPDT to use as an OFF switch.

Or, if you're set on using a SPDT switch for control, you could use a DPDT relay to do the switching for you. The switch would energize the relay, the relay would switch the polarity.

FAQ: Solving a Circuit Problem with SPDT Switches

1. How do SPDT switches work in a circuit?

SPDT switches, short for single-pole double-throw switches, have three terminals: a common terminal, a normally open terminal, and a normally closed terminal. When the switch is in the "on" position, the common terminal is connected to the normally open terminal. When the switch is in the "off" position, the common terminal is connected to the normally closed terminal.

2. Can I use SPDT switches to control multiple circuits?

Yes, SPDT switches can be used to control multiple circuits. You can connect one circuit to the normally open terminal and another circuit to the normally closed terminal. This allows you to switch between the two circuits by flipping the switch.

3. How do I calculate the resistance in a circuit with SPDT switches?

To calculate the resistance in a circuit with SPDT switches, you need to first determine the resistance of each component in the circuit. Then, use Ohm's law to calculate the total resistance by adding up the individual resistances. Keep in mind that SPDT switches have a small amount of resistance (usually in the range of a few ohms), so this should be taken into account in your calculations.

4. Can I use SPDT switches in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, SPDT switches can be used in both AC and DC circuits. However, it is important to make sure that the voltage and current ratings of the switch are appropriate for the type of circuit you are using it in. Also, be aware that the behavior of the switch may differ slightly in AC and DC circuits.

5. How do I troubleshoot a circuit problem with SPDT switches?

If you are experiencing issues with your circuit using SPDT switches, first check that all connections are secure and that the switch is in the correct position. If the problem persists, use a multimeter to test the continuity of the switch and all other components in the circuit. Make sure to also check for any loose or damaged wires. If you are still unable to solve the problem, consult a professional or refer to a circuit diagram for further assistance.