Solving a Circuit Transfer Function: Find C2 for R,C1

In summary: Is that what you're using?In summary, the student attempted to solve the problem for part 2, but was unsuccessful. They used the quadratic formula to find the roots of the equation.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/410/prelab4problem1tz5.jpg

Find transfer function of the circuit above (i.e. - [itex]\frac{V_o(s)}{V_i(s)}[/itex])

[tex]\frac{V_o(s)}{V_i(s)}\,=\,\frac{a_1}{s^2\,+\,a_2\,s\,+\,a_3}[/tex]

1) Find a1, a2, a3 in terms of R, C1 and C2

2) Given that [itex]C_1\,=\,100\,\mu\,F[/itex] and [itex]R\,=\,10\,K\Omega[/itex], find [itex]C_2[/itex] such that the system has a pair of complex conjugate poles located at [itex]-1\,\pm\,j\,\sqrt{399}[/itex].

Homework Equations

KCL, OP Amp rules, complex numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I went through a nodal analysis, I'm not going to post the steps here, but here are the results...

[tex]\frac{V_o}{V_i}\,=\,\frac{1}{C_1\,C_2\,R\,s^2\,+\,2\,C_2\,R\,s\,-\,1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_o}{V_i}\,=\,\frac{\frac{1}{C_1\,C_2\,R}}{s^2\,+\,\frac{2}{C_1}\,s\,-\,\frac{1}{C_1\,C_2\,R}}[/tex]So that means that...

[tex]a_1\,=\,\frac{1}{C_1\,C_2\,R}[/tex]

[tex]a_2\,=\,\frac{2}{C_1}[/tex]

[tex]a_3\,=\,\frac{1}{C_1\,C_2\,R}[/tex]

That's for part one, does that seem right?For part two, we want to MAKE the roots of the following equation (denominator):

[tex]s^2\,+\,2000\,s\,+\,\frac{1}{C_2}\,=\,0[/tex]

EQUAL TO...

[tex]-1\,\pm\,j\,\sqrt{399}[/tex]

How do I make that happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first problem is that you've got the transfer function wrong. See the first attachment for the correct transfer function.

And as to your last question, don't you remember the quadratic formula? See the second attachment.

Substitute the coefficients a, b and c, and then select C2 to get the roots you want.

Attachments

• Expr.gif
    Expr.gif
    750 bytes · Views: 509
  • Quad.gif
    Quad.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 476
So the C2 value for part 2 is ... calculating ... brb!

Last edited:
Well, what did you get?

And, now, you can answer a question for me. How do you paste those mathematical expressions into your post? When I right click on one and select properties, it appears that it is a Latex image.

FAQ: Solving a Circuit Transfer Function: Find C2 for R,C1

1. How do I solve for C2 in a circuit transfer function with R and C1?

To solve for C2, you need to use the formula for a circuit transfer function, which is H(s) = Vout/Vin = 1/(1 + sRC). Rearrange this formula to solve for C2 and substitute in the given values for R and C1.

2. Can I use any value for R and C1 in the circuit transfer function?

Yes, you can use any positive values for R and C1 as long as they are consistent with the rest of the circuit and do not violate any physical limitations.

3. What if I don't know the value of R or C1 in the circuit transfer function?

If you do not know the value of R or C1, you will not be able to solve for C2. You will need to find out the values of R and C1 through circuit analysis or experimentation before solving for C2.

4. Can I use the circuit transfer function to solve for other variables besides C2?

Yes, you can use the circuit transfer function to solve for other variables such as R and C1. Simply rearrange the formula to isolate the variable you want to solve for.

5. Is the circuit transfer function the only way to solve for C2 in a circuit?

No, there are other methods for solving circuits such as Kirchhoff's laws and Thevenin's theorem. However, the circuit transfer function is a commonly used and efficient method for solving circuits with resistors and capacitors.