Solving a Complex Integral: Substituting tg (x/2)

In summary, the integral can be factorized as $4 \times (z^2-1)(z^2-3)$, but it would be easier to just use partial fractions.
leprofece
integral View attachment 2995

This is my work but I got a very looong integral to solve
after substitute tg (x/2) based in my former exercise

View attachment 2996
it remains 4/ (1-z^2)(3-z^2)

Attachments

• scan.gif
    scan.gif
    393 bytes · Views: 67
  • Scan [1024x768].jpg
    Scan [1024x768].jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
leprofece said:
integral View attachment 2995

This is my work but I got a very looong integral to solve
after substitute tg (x/2) based in my former exercise

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2996
it remains 4/ (1-z^2)(3-z^2)

Each of those can be factorised further and you can apply partial fractions.

However I think it might be possible to avoid the Wierstrauss Substitution...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{1 + \cos{(x)}}{\cos{(x)} \left[ 1 + 2\cos{(x)} \right] } \, \mathrm{d}x} &= \int{ \frac{ \left[ 1 + \cos{(x)} \right] \left[ 1 - \cos{(x)} \right] }{ \cos{(x)} \left[ 1 + 2\cos{(x)} \right] \left[ 1 - \cos{(x)} \right] } \,\mathrm{d}x} \\ &= \int{ \frac{1 - \cos^2{(x)}}{\cos{(x)} \left[ 1 + 2\cos{(x)} \right] \left[ 1 - \cos{(x)} \right] } \, \mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \int{ \frac{\sin^2{(x)} }{ \cos{(x)} \left[ 1 + 2\cos{(x)} \right] \left[ 1 - \cos{(x)} \right] } \,\mathrm{d}x} \\ &= -\int{ \frac{\sqrt{ 1 - \cos^2{(x)} } \left[ - \sin{(x)} \right] }{ \cos{(x)} \left[ 1 + 2\cos{(x)} \right] \left[ 1 - \cos{(x)} \right] } \, \mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$

Now you could try the substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \cos{(x)} \implies \mathrm{d}u = -\sin{(x)} \,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$...

Since you're at the home stretch, elaborating on what Prove It said:

$$=\int \frac{4}{(1-z^2)(3-z^2)} \,dz$$
$$=\int \frac{4}{(z^2-1)(z^2-3)}\,dz$$
$$=\int \frac{4}{(z+1)(z-1)(z^2-3)}\,dz$$

Now apply partial fractions. :D

Rido12 said:
Since you're at the home stretch, elaborating on what Prove It said:

$$=\int \frac{4}{(1-z^2)(3-z^2)} \,dz$$
$$=\int \frac{4}{(z+1)(z-1)(z^2-3)}\,dz$$

Now apply partial fractions. :D

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} &= \int{ \frac{4}{ \left( z + 1 \right) \left( z - 1 \right) \left( z + \sqrt{3} \right) \left( z - \sqrt{3} \right) } \, \mathrm{d}z} \end{align*}$

Ok let's see
this integral is too long according to wolphramalpha
maybe as prove it did it, it is easier
thanks anyway

I'm not Wolfram Alpha, nor a CAS, but the integral does seem manageable.

I was hesitant to factor the $z^2-3$ because it has a known antiderivative, and if you know what that is, it would be easier to split the integral as

Otherwise, if you want to further pursue this problem, work from and here and try partial fractions.

\begin{align*} &= \int{ \frac{4}{ \left( z + 1 \right) \left( z - 1 \right) \left( z + \sqrt{3} \right) \left( z - \sqrt{3} \right) } \, \mathrm{d}z} \end{align*}

Related to Solving a Complex Integral: Substituting tg (x/2)

1. How do I know when to use the substitution method for a complex integral?

The substitution method is typically used when the integrand contains a function that can be simplified using a substitution, such as tg (x/2). It is also useful when the integrand contains a complicated expression that can be simplified using a substitution.

2. What is the first step in using the substitution method for a complex integral?

The first step is to identify the function that can be substituted. In this case, it is tg (x/2). Then, we need to choose a new variable, u, to replace tg (x/2) in the integral.

3. How do I choose the new variable for substitution?

The new variable, u, should be chosen such that it simplifies the integral. In this case, we can let u = tg (x/2). This will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. What is the second step in using the substitution method for a complex integral?

The second step is to find the derivative of the new variable, u, and substitute it into the integral. In this case, the derivative of tg (x/2) is 1/2 * sec^2 (x/2). So, we substitute 1/2 * sec^2 (x/2) for u in the integral.

5. How do I complete the substitution method for a complex integral?

The final step is to solve the integral using the new variable, u. This will result in an integral that is easier to evaluate. Once the integral is solved, the final step is to substitute back the original variable, x, to get the final solution.