Solving a Difficult Projectile Motion Problem: How Far is the Diagonal Distance?

In summary, Ronson drives a rocket sled from rest 25 m up from a15 degree ramp at an acceleration of 8.0 m/s2. The rocket cuts off at the end of the ramp, which happens to be at the edge of a 75 m high cliff. He freefalls in his sled until he bounces on a trampoline, which is on a 30.0 m high platform, and gives him an upward acceleration of 108 m/s2 for 0.45 s. Again he freefalls, bouncing this time on the ground, which gives him an upward acceleration of 445 m/s2 for 0.12 s. Finally after a third freefall, he stops bouncing, losing all vertical velocity but none of his horizontal
Jessicaelleig
Ronson drives a rocket sled from rest 25 m up from a15 degree ramp at an acceleration of 8.0 m/s2. The rocket cuts off at the end of the ramp, which happens to be atthe edge of a 75 m high cliff. He freefalls in his sled until he bounces on a trampoline, which is on a 30.0 m high platform, and gives him an upward acceleration of 108 m/s2 for 0.45 s. Again he freefalls, bouncing this time on the ground, which gives him an upward acceleration of 445 m/s2 for 0.12 s. FInally after a third freefall, he stops bouncing, losing all vertical velocity but none of his horizontal velocity. Now that he's on the ground, he slides horizontally, decelerating at 1.5 m/s2 before coming to a stop. How far is the diagonal distance from the top of the ramp to his final resting place?

I know you find the diagonal distance by the Pythagorean theorem. One of the lengths of the sides is 75 m while you find the other by adding up the x distances of the jumps. I just don't know what numbers to use for velocity or acceleration in the beginning. Can someone please explain to me how to do this problem?

THis is really advanced, and I am really bad at projectiles motion. I know it involves x and y components.

It involves kinematic equations
V = Vo + at

X - Xo = Vot + .5at2

v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)

X - Xo = .5(Vo + V)t

If you can provide ideason how for me to solve this, that would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jessicaelleig said:
Ronson drives a rocket sled from rest 25 m up from a15 degree ramp at an acceleration of 8.0 m/s2. The rocket cuts off at the end of the ramp, which happens to be atthe edge of a 75 m high cliff. He freefalls in his sled until he bounces on a trampoline, which is on a 30.0 m high platform, and gives him an upward acceleration of 108 m/s2 for 0.45 s. Again he freefalls, bouncing this time on the ground, which gives him an upward acceleration of 445 m/s2 for 0.12 s. FInally after a third freefall, he stops bouncing, losing all vertical velocity but none of his horizontal velocity. Now that he's on the ground, he slides horizontally, decelerating at 1.5 m/s2 before coming to a stop. How far is the diagonal distance from the top of the ramp to his final resting place?

I know you find the diagonal distance by the Pythagorean theorem. One of the lengths of the sides is 75 m while you find the other by adding up the x distances of the jumps. I just don't know what numbers to use for velocity or acceleration in the beginning. Can someone please explain to me how to do this problem?

THis is really advanced, and I am really bad at projectiles motion. I know it involves x and y components.

It involves kinematic equations
V = Vo + at

X - Xo = Vot + .5at2

v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)

X - Xo = .5(Vo + V)t

If you can provide ideason how for me to solve this, that would be appreciated!

Just divide the problem up into multiple problems and figure out the answers applying the answer from one to the next phase of the problem.

1. Initial velocity off ramp? Figure acceleration and determine speed (Hint determine both x&y components based on angle)

2. Determine Velocity hitting trampoline. Consider effects of rebound and determine new Velocity.

3. Projectile motion now with new initial velocity off trampoline.

... and so on and so on and so on.

Since the presumption is that the sled doesn't lose horizontal velocity, then to figure the distance until it comes to rest you want to figure out all the time to accomplish these things and then multiply that by the horizontal velocity component.

Last edited:
thank you :)

Jessicaelleig said:
thank you :)

I just realized that there was a horizontal deceleration phase, so total time until the deceleration and then the distance over the deceleration is what you need there.

Good luck.

Related to Solving a Difficult Projectile Motion Problem: How Far is the Diagonal Distance?

1. How do I approach solving a difficult projectile motion problem?

When facing a difficult projectile motion problem, it is important to first break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify what is given and what needs to be solved for. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles of projectile motion, such as the equations of motion, to solve for the unknowns. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram and label all known and unknown quantities.

2. What is the diagonal distance in a projectile motion problem?

The diagonal distance in a projectile motion problem is the distance traveled by the projectile from its initial position to its final position, measured along a diagonal path. This distance is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's displacement.

3. How do I find the diagonal distance in a projectile motion problem?

To find the diagonal distance, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In a projectile motion problem, the diagonal distance is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical displacements.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a difficult projectile motion problem?

One common mistake is not considering the effects of air resistance or drag on the projectile. Another mistake is using incorrect or incomplete equations of motion. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. Finally, it is important to check for mistakes in calculations and ensure the final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can I solve a difficult projectile motion problem without using equations?

In most cases, it is not possible to solve a difficult projectile motion problem without using equations. However, in some simpler scenarios, it may be possible to use graphical methods or approximations. These methods may not yield exact solutions but can provide estimates or a general understanding of the problem.