Solving a Double Integral: Where is the Error?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an integral where the given set D has bounds of -1 and 1 for y, and -y-2 and y for x. The integral was set up as \int^{1}_{-1} \int^{y}_{-y-2} y^2 dx dy and the answer was found to be 0, but the book states it should be 4/3. The mistake was found to be in the last step where the bounds were reversed and the final integral should be \int^{-1}_{1} 2y^3 + 2y^2 dy.
tnutty

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{D}\int y^2[/tex]
where D = {(x,y) | -1 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq1[/tex], -y-2[tex]\leq x\leq y[/tex]

The integral I set up is below :

[tex]\int^{1}_{-1} \int^{y}_{-y-2} y^2 dx dy [/tex]

From that I get the answer 0, but the book says its 4/3.

I get 0 because It reduces to this integral :

[tex]\int^{-1}_{1} 2y^3 + 2y[/tex]

Any idea where I could be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
tnutty said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{D}\int y^2[/tex]
where D = {(x,y) | -1 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq1[/tex], -y-2[tex]\leq x\leq y[/tex]

The integral I set up is below :

[tex]\int^{1}_{-1} \int^{y}_{-y-2} y^2 dx dy [/tex]

From that I get the answer 0, but the book says its 4/3.

I get 0 because It reduces to this integral :

[tex]\int^{-1}_{1} 2y^3 + 2y[/tex]

In your last step you reversed your bounds, it should be (-1,1) not (1,-1) as you wrote. Also the final step should be [tex]\int[/tex]2y3 +2y2 dy with the bounds (-1 to 1).

Last edited:
Hi tnutty! :smile:
tnutty said:

erm :redface:

2y3 + 2y2 ? :wink:

I mean to write 2y^3 + 2y^2. But its was the bounds. Thanks guys.

FAQ: Solving a Double Integral: Where is the Error?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to find the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a specific region on a Cartesian plane.

2. How do I solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you must first identify the limits of integration for both x and y. Then, you can integrate the function with respect to one variable and treat the other variable as a constant. Finally, you can integrate the resulting expression with respect to the other variable.

3. What are some common errors when solving a double integral?

Some common errors when solving a double integral include incorrectly identifying the limits of integration, making mistakes in the integration process, and using the wrong formula for the specific type of double integral.

4. How can I check for errors when solving a double integral?

One way to check for errors when solving a double integral is by using multiple methods to solve the same integral. Another way is to substitute known values into the original function and compare the result to the calculated value.

5. Can I use a calculator or computer program to solve a double integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator or computer program to solve a double integral. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and process behind solving a double integral in order to catch and correct any potential errors.

Back