Solving a Double Integral with MHB

In summary, HallsofIvy was having difficulty understanding how to integrate sin(y^2) over the range from 0 to 1. However, after drawing a picture and noting that the integral goes from 0 to 1 as well as from x up to y, it became much easier to understand.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I got problem understanding how they can do this.
\(\displaystyle \int_0^1\int_x^1 \sin(y^2)dydx\)
and rewrite it as \(\displaystyle \int_0^1\int_0^y \sin(y^2) dxdy\)
What I have done is.
Then function is continuous (\(\displaystyle \sin\) is a trig function) on a type I region D.
We got \(\displaystyle D= (x,y)| 0\leq x \leq 1, x \leq y \leq 1\)

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture. Since the "x" integral goes from 0 to 1, draw vertical lines at x= 0 and x= 1. Since the "y" integral goes from x up to 1. Draw the line y= x and the horizontal line y= 1. The region you are integrating over is that triangle, above y= x and below y= 1. To reverse the integral, notice that y goes form a minimum of 0 (at (0, 0)) up to 1. So the "outer integral" is from y= 0 to 1. And, then, for each y, x goes from 0 to the right to x= y. That is why the integral can be written as [tex]\int_{y=0}^1\int_{x= 0}^y cos(y^2)dxdy[/tex].

Do you see why that makes it much easier to integrate?

HallsofIvy said:
Draw a picture. Since the "x" integral goes from 0 to 1, draw vertical lines at x= 0 and x= 1. Since the "y" integral goes from x up to 1. Draw the line y= x and the horizontal line y= 1. The region you are integrating over is that triangle, above y= x and below y= 1. To reverse the integral, notice that y goes form a minimum of 0 (at (0, 0)) up to 1. So the "outer integral" is from y= 0 to 1. And, then, for each y, x goes from 0 to the right to x= y. That is why the integral can be written as [tex]\int_{y=0}^1\int_{x= 0}^y cos(y^2)dxdy[/tex].

Do you see why that makes it much easier to integrate?
Hello HallsofIvy,
Thanks, I think I got it but I still wounder something. We draw a line y=x and we want to integrate from \(\displaystyle 0\leq x \leq 1\) can't we then also see that it will be same limits in x and y ? so we can say \(\displaystyle 0\leq x \leq 1, 0\leq y \leq 1\)?
Edit: Never mind... I just notice then we will divide by zero.
Regards,

Related to Solving a Double Integral with MHB

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integration that involves solving for the area under a surface in two dimensions. It is represented by two integral signs and is used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape.

2. What is MHB in relation to solving double integrals?

MHB stands for the "Method of Horizontal and Vertical Boundaries." This method involves breaking down a double integral into two single integrals, one with fixed horizontal boundaries and one with fixed vertical boundaries, and then solving them separately.

3. When should I use the MHB method for solving double integrals?

The MHB method is most useful when the boundaries of the integral are defined by horizontal and vertical lines. It can also be used for other types of boundaries, but it may be more complicated and time-consuming.

4. What are the steps for solving a double integral with MHB?

The steps for solving a double integral with MHB are as follows:

1. Identify the boundaries of the integral and sketch the region.
  2. Break the integral into two single integrals, one with fixed horizontal boundaries and one with fixed vertical boundaries.
  3. Solve each single integral separately using standard integration techniques.
  4. Add the two solutions together to get the final answer.

5. Are there any limitations to using the MHB method for solving double integrals?

The MHB method may not be suitable for more complex regions or when the boundaries of the integral are not defined by horizontal and vertical lines. In these cases, other methods such as the method of polar coordinates may be more appropriate.