Solving a log equation with (3) different bases

• Thread starter pumaking94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bases Log
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving a log equation involving different bases and the lack of an algebraic solution using only a finite number of standard functions. However, there are methods to write an expression as an infinite series.
pumaking94
I used to think I was master of any high school math course until I came across this log equation in a calculus textbook.

[itex]
\log_{2}x + \log_{5}(2x+1) = \ln x
[/itex]

I use the change of base to convert everything to one base and then I get down to:

[itex]
(2x+1)^{\ln2} = x^{\ln2\ln5 - \ln5}
[/itex]

I have no idea how to solve that. I found a website where they use graphing and later say that the algebraic solution is too difficult for beginner students. So what is the algebraic solution?

PS Sorry for posting in "General Math" but this isn't really a homework question...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF pumaking94! :smile:

I'm afraid there is no algebraic solution using only a finite number of standard functions.
So there's no such thing as being too difficult. It just isn't there. :wink:

Thanks!

That is disappointing, this site kept saying "The algebraic solution is too difficult" so I thought there definitely has to be one ;p, but I guess not.

What do you mean by finite number of standard functions? What about an infinite number?

There are methods to write an expression as an infinite series.
Perhaps you already know of some of those.
For instance:
[tex]\frac 1 {1-x} = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 +...[/tex]
Note that this is only true for |x| < 1.

(This may not be a very good example, since the original expression can be written with standard operations.)

FAQ: Solving a log equation with (3) different bases

What is a log equation?

A log equation is an equation that involves logarithms. A logarithm is the inverse of an exponential function and is used to solve for the unknown exponent in an exponential equation.

What are the three different bases in log equations?

The three most commonly used bases in log equations are base 10, base e (also known as the natural logarithm), and base 2. Base 10 is typically used in everyday calculations, while base e is used in natural sciences and base 2 is used in computer science and information theory.

How do I solve a log equation with three different bases?

To solve a log equation with three different bases, you need to use the change of base formula. This formula states that logb(x) = logc(x)/logc(b), where b is the original base, c is the new base, and x is the input value. You can then use this formula to convert the equation to a base that you are familiar with and solve it using basic algebraic techniques.

Can a log equation with three different bases have multiple solutions?

Yes, a log equation with three different bases can have multiple solutions. In fact, most log equations have multiple solutions. This is because a logarithm is the inverse of an exponential function, which means that the same input value can produce multiple outputs. It is important to check your solutions and make sure they are valid in the original equation.

What are some tips for solving a log equation with three different bases?

Some tips for solving a log equation with three different bases include using the change of base formula, simplifying the equation as much as possible, and checking your solutions to make sure they are valid. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic algebraic principles and properties of logarithms.