Solving a Logic Function: A' x B + B

• Thread starter strk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about expressing output F as a logic function of the inputs, using the example of output being C0 if A'B' is true and C1 if A'B is true. The person responding suggests using the Karnaugh map as an alternative method to reach the solution.
strk

Homework Statement

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q292/strkthug/KCL/logicFunction.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do it I already got it wrong I just want to know how to do it because

this was what I got

F= A' x B + B and For some reason I got it wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, you are asked express output F as logic function of the inputs.
For example output is C0 if A'B' is true and output is C1 if A'B is true and so on.

n.karthick said:
Hi, you are asked express output F as logic function of the inputs.
For example output is C0 if A'B' is true and output is C1 if A'B is true and so on.

can you explain more please

Dear student,

Solving a logic function involves using logical operations to manipulate and simplify the given expression. In this case, we are given the expression F = A' x B + B. To solve this, we need to understand the basic principles of logic, such as the distributive property, De Morgan's laws, and the identity and complement laws.

First, let's simplify the expression using the distributive property:

F = A' x B + B
= (A' x B) + (B x 1) (applying the distributive property)
= (A' x B) + B (since B x 1 = B)

Next, we can use De Morgan's laws to further simplify the expression:

F = (A' x B) + B
= (A' + B')' + B (applying De Morgan's law)
= (A' + B) + B (applying the complement law)
= A' + (B + B) (applying the associative law)
= A' + B (since B + B = B)

Therefore, the simplified expression is F = A' + B.

I hope this helps you understand the process of solving a logic function. It is important to remember the basic principles of logic and use them to manipulate the given expression. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with solving logic functions.

Best of luck with your studies!

Sincerely,

Related to Solving a Logic Function: A' x B + B

1. What is a logic function?

A logic function is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between one or more binary input variables and a single binary output variable. It is commonly used in the field of computer science and digital electronics to represent logical operations.

2. What does A' x B + B mean in a logic function?

A' x B + B represents the logical OR operation between two binary variables, A' and B, and their complements. This means that the output will be 1 (or true) if either A or B is 1, or if both are 1.

3. How do you solve a logic function?

To solve a logic function, you can use a truth table or Boolean algebra. In a truth table, you list all possible combinations of the input variables and determine the output for each combination. In Boolean algebra, you use logical operations and laws to simplify the expression and obtain the simplest form.

4. What is the purpose of solving a logic function?

The purpose of solving a logic function is to determine the relationship between the input and output variables and to obtain the simplest expression that represents this relationship. This allows for easier implementation in digital systems and can help identify errors or inconsistencies in the logic.

5. Can A' x B + B be simplified further?

Yes, A' x B + B can be simplified to just B. This is because when A is 0, A' is 1, and 1 x B is B. And when A is 1, A' is 0, and 0 x B is 0. Therefore, the output is always the same as the value of B, making the A' x B term unnecessary. The simplified logic function would be B.