Solving a Magnetostatics Integral Problem

In summary: Therefore, the integral is equal to 0 and the proof is complete.In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic force between two current loops and how it relates to Newton's third law. The person is stuck on proving that a specific integral along a closed loop is equal to zero and asks for help. The expert summarizes the proof for this integral, using the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals to show that it is indeed equal to zero. This concludes the conversation.
rocket
I'm working on a physics problem, and i got stuck on an integral. the entire question is as follows:

----------------------------
Magnetostatics treats the "source current" (the one that sets up the field) and
the "recipient current" (the one that experiences the force) so asymmetrically that it is by no means obvious that the magnetic force between two current loops is consistent with Newton"s third law. Show, starting with the Biot-Savart law and the Lorentz force law, that the force on loop 2 due to loop 1 can be written as

[tex] F2 = -\frac{\mu_o}{4\pi}I_1 I_2 \oint_1 \oint_2 \frac{\widehat{r}}{r^2} d\overrightarrow{l_1} \cdot d\overrightarrow{l_2} [/tex]

In this form it is clear that F2 = — F1, since i changes direction when the roles of 1 and 2 are interchanged. (If you seem to be getting an "extra" term, it will help to note that [tex]d\overrightarrow{l_2} \cdot \widehat{r} = dr [/tex].)
--------------------------------------

I'm okay with most of the proof - just a specific part I'm stuck on. i got to the part where i have
[tex] F2 = \frac{\mu_o}{4\pi}I_1 I_2 [\oint_1 \oint_2 \frac{d\overrightarrow{l_1} dr}{r^2} - \oint_1 \oint_2 \frac{\widehat{r}}{r^2} d\overrightarrow{l_1} \cdot d\overrightarrow{l_2}] [/tex]

i want to prove that the first integral is zero, so i need to show that this integral along a closed loop:

[tex]\oint_2 (1/r^2) dr[/tex]

is equal to zero. but I'm not sure how to prove it. i was wondering if someone can show me a rigid proof for this. Note that the integral is along loop 2. Note also that the [tex] \overrightarrow{r} [/tex] is the distance from a point on loop 1 to a point on loop 2 - that is, [tex] \overrightarrow {r} = (x2-x1, y2-y1, z2-z1) [/tex], so in the integral above, where r is a scalar, then [tex]r = [(x2-x1, y2-y1, z2-z1)]^{1/2} [/tex]. I'm not sure how to rewrite dr in terms of x2, since r is a scaler. should it be dr = dxdydz? I think I'm missing something here because I'm not really that familiar with loop integrals.

Attachments

• 5.62.jpeg
    5.62.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any help would be appreciated. The integral you have is a line integral around a closed loop, so the result must be 0 by the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals. To prove it, start with the definition of line integral: \oint_2 \frac{1}{r^2} dr = \int_C \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{dr}{dt} dt where C is the path of integration (the loop 2 in your case). Since the loop is closed, the endpoints of the integral are the same, meaning that the integral is \int_C \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{dr}{dt} dt = \int_{x_0}^{x_0} \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{dr}{dt} dt = 0 where x_0 is the starting point of the loop.

Related to Solving a Magnetostatics Integral Problem

1. How do you approach solving a magnetostatics integral problem?

The first step in solving a magnetostatics integral problem is to define the problem and identify the relevant variables. This includes determining the geometry and material properties of the system, as well as the sources of magnetic fields. Then, you can use Maxwell's equations and the appropriate boundary conditions to set up the integral equation to be solved.

2. What are the common methods for solving magnetostatics integral problems?

There are several methods for solving magnetostatics integral problems, including the method of moments, finite element method, boundary element method, and finite difference method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so the appropriate method should be chosen based on the specific problem at hand.

3. How do you handle non-linearity in magnetostatics integral problems?

In some cases, the magnetic properties of the materials in a system may be non-linear, which can complicate the solution of a magnetostatics integral problem. Non-linear problems can be solved using iterative techniques, such as the Newton-Raphson method, or by linearizing the problem and solving it as a series of linear problems.

4. What are the key assumptions made in solving magnetostatics integral problems?

When solving a magnetostatics integral problem, it is important to make certain assumptions in order to simplify the problem and make it solvable. These assumptions may include assuming the system is in steady-state, neglecting radiation effects, and assuming the materials are isotropic and homogeneous.

5. How can the accuracy of the solution for a magnetostatics integral problem be improved?

The accuracy of the solution for a magnetostatics integral problem can be improved by using a finer mesh or increasing the number of elements in the solution domain. Additionally, using higher order elements or implementing adaptive meshing techniques can also improve the accuracy of the solution.

Back