Solving a non linear pde using a function

In summary, to solve a non-linear PDE using a function, one can use various techniques such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or numerical methods like finite difference or finite element. The difference between a linear and non-linear PDE is that a linear PDE has linear terms while a non-linear PDE has non-linear terms. Non-linear PDEs can have analytical solutions using special techniques, but they often require numerical methods. Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the specific solution of a non-linear PDE. Multiple solutions are possible for non-linear PDEs, and the appropriate boundary conditions must be considered to ensure a physically meaningful solution.
maggie56
I have the non linear pde

du/dt = d/dx [3 u^2 - d^2u/dx^2]

the question supposes that there is a solution u(x,t) = f(x-ct) where c is constant and f(y) for y=x-ct satisfies f tends to 0, f' tends to zero and f'' tends to zero but y tends to + or - infinity.

so i have tried to reduce the above equation to an ode, i have to show that a family of solutions of the pde are given by u(x,t) = -c/2 sech^2 [ c^{1/2} /2 (x-ct)]

i find
du/dt = -cf'
du/dx = f'
d^2u/dt^2 = c^2 f''
d^2u/dx^2 = f''

but when substituting these into the pde and simplifying i get

f'''-cf'-6f'=0 so f''' = (6+c)f'

is it possible to 'cancel the derivatives' so that f''=(6+c)f and f'=(6+c) ?

im really stuck on this question
any help would really be appreciated

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand that you are trying to reduce the given PDE to an ODE and find a family of solutions. Your approach seems to be correct, but there are a few errors in your calculations.

Firstly, when you substitute the expressions for du/dt and d^2u/dx^2 into the PDE, you should not get f'''-cf'-6f'=0. The correct result should be f'''-cf'-6f''=0. This is because d^2u/dt^2 = c^2 f'' and d^2u/dx^2 = f''. Therefore, the term involving f'' should have a coefficient of -6, not 0.

Secondly, when you try to solve the resulting ODE f'''-cf'-6f''=0, you cannot simply cancel the derivatives. This is because the derivatives are with respect to different variables (t and x). In order to solve this ODE, you will need to use a method such as variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients.

I hope this helps you in your solution. If you are still stuck, I would suggest consulting with your professor or a colleague for further assistance. Good luck!

Related to Solving a non linear pde using a function

1. How do you solve a non-linear partial differential equation (PDE) using a function?

To solve a non-linear PDE using a function, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, and numerical methods like finite difference or finite element methods. The specific method used will depend on the form of the PDE and the boundary conditions.

2. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear PDE?

A linear PDE has terms that are only linear in the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a non-linear PDE has terms that are non-linear in the dependent variable or its derivatives. This means that the solution to a linear PDE can be obtained by superposition of simpler solutions, while a non-linear PDE may require more complex methods to solve.

3. Can a non-linear PDE have an analytical solution?

Yes, some non-linear PDEs have analytical solutions that can be obtained using special techniques such as the method of characteristics or the power series method. However, in many cases, non-linear PDEs require numerical methods to approximate a solution.

4. What is the role of boundary conditions in solving a non-linear PDE using a function?

Boundary conditions are essential in solving a non-linear PDE using a function as they provide information about the behavior of the solution at the boundaries of the domain. They help to determine the specific form of the solution that satisfies both the PDE and the boundary conditions.

5. Can a non-linear PDE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a non-linear PDE can have multiple solutions depending on the form of the PDE and the boundary conditions. In some cases, there may be a unique solution, while in others, there may be an infinite number of solutions. It is important to carefully consider the boundary conditions when solving a non-linear PDE to ensure that the solution obtained is physically meaningful.