Solving a PDE in spherical with source term

In summary, the problem involves solving a PDE in a spherical domain with given boundary conditions. The PDE can be reduced to a simpler form by introducing the variable w = F/r. Eigenfunction expansions need to be used to express the source term and find the solution. It is recommended to start with separation of variables and identify a proper eigenfunction, while also stating any necessary assumptions. The given boundary conditions at r=0 seem unusual and may need to be clarified.
jhartc90

Homework Statement

I have a PDE and I need to solve it in spherical domain:

$$\frac{dF(r,t)}{dt}=\alpha \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d}{dr} r^2 \frac{dF(r,t)}{dr} +g(r,t) $$

I have BC's:

$$ \frac{dF}{dr} = 0, r =0$$
$$ \frac{dF}{dr} = 0, r =R$$

Homework Equations

So, in spherical coord.

First, I know that:

$$F=w/r$$
Reducing, I get:

$$\frac{dw}{dt} =\alpha \frac{d^2w}{dr^2}+r*g(r,t) $$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
After I Get this, I need to find eigenfunction expansions to express the source term and
then, finally, the solution Do I need to do separation of variables? I am confused at this point and not sure how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say you are confused when you have essentially described a proper way of attacking the problem? Why don't you simply try doing it?

Side note: Were you given these boundary conditions or did you implement them based on problem formulation. It seems strange to me to have a boundary condition of that form at r=0. If r=0 is part of your domain, it is not a boundary.

Orodruin said:
Why do you say you are confused when you have essentially described a proper way of attacking the problem? Why don't you simply try doing it?

Side note: Were you given these boundary conditions or did you implement them based on problem formulation. It seems strange to me to have a boundary condition of that form at r=0. If r=0 is part of your domain, it is not a boundary.
I should be more specific. The problem is attached for complete clarity, noting that I need to state any assumptions. The reason I haven't started is because I am not fully sure how to start. Should I Start with separation of variables? Should I start with identifying a proper eigenfunction? Would it be of the form sin(...).

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 531

Related to Solving a PDE in spherical with source term

1. How do I solve a partial differential equation (PDE) in spherical coordinates?

Solving a PDE in spherical coordinates involves converting the PDE from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates and then using appropriate techniques such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics to obtain a solution. This process can be complex and may require advanced mathematical knowledge.

2. What is a source term in a PDE?

A source term in a PDE represents the external influence or input that affects the behavior of the system being modeled. It can be a function of one or more variables and is typically added to the PDE to make the model more realistic and accurate.

3. Why is it important to consider source terms when solving a PDE in spherical coordinates?

Source terms are crucial in PDEs as they represent the real-world conditions and external forces that affect the system being modeled. Ignoring source terms can lead to inaccurate or unrealistic solutions, especially when modeling physical systems in spherical coordinates.

4. What techniques can be used to solve a PDE in spherical coordinates with a source term?

There are various techniques that can be used to solve a PDE in spherical coordinates with a source term, including separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. The choice of technique will depend on the specific PDE and its boundary conditions.

5. Are there any software tools available for solving PDEs in spherical coordinates with source terms?

Yes, there are various software tools and packages available for solving PDEs in spherical coordinates with source terms, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and COMSOL Multiphysics. These tools provide a user-friendly interface and a range of numerical methods for solving PDEs in different coordinate systems.

Back