Solving a PDE: Simplifying Third Order Equation to Second Order Airy Equation

• Thread starter ssatonreb
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking for help to solve a PDE and simplify a third order equation into a second order Airy equation. They are struggling to find a starting point and want to know how to simplify the equation. They also mention that the equation does not include the function F(x,y) and suggest defining a new function G(x,y) to get a second order equation. They also mention that the equation can be considered as an ordinary differential equation. Additionally, they mention that the Airy equation is written as f(y)''-y*f(y)=0 and they want to know how to simplify the equation so that -ix(y+C) becomes y.
ssatonreb
Hello!

I have difficulty to solve a PDE. I'm trying to simplify the third order eq. into the second order Airy equation. But I can't see where I could start. Could you, please, help me.
Where should I start?
Equations is:

[tex]
\frac{\partial^{3}F(x,y)}{\partial y^{3}}-ix(y+C)\frac{\partial F(x,y)}{\partial y}=0
[/tex]

where C is positive constant [tex] i=\sqrt{-1} [/tex]

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]F(x,y)[/tex] itself does not appear in the equation. So for example define [tex]G(x,y) = \partial F(x,y)/\partial y[/tex] to get a second-order equation for [tex]G[/tex] . Also, there are no derivatives [tex]\partial/\partial x[/tex], so we might as well consider it an ordinary differential equation.

Thank You, but Airy equations is witten as f(y)''-y*f(y)=0.

How can I simplify eq. in order to -ix(y+C) become y?

FAQ: Solving a PDE: Simplifying Third Order Equation to Second Order Airy Equation

1. What is the Airy equation?

The Airy equation is a differential equation that describes the behavior of a wave with a varying amplitude in a medium with a varying refractive index. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena such as diffraction, scattering, and wave propagation.

2. Why is help needed with the Airy equation?

The Airy equation is a complex mathematical equation that can be difficult to solve and understand without proper knowledge and training. Help may be needed to better understand the variables and parameters involved, as well as to find solutions to specific problems or applications.

3. What are the applications of the Airy equation?

The Airy equation is used in a wide range of fields, including optics, acoustics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It can be applied to study the behavior of waves in different media, diffraction patterns, and scattering effects, among others.

4. What are some techniques for solving the Airy equation?

There are various techniques for solving the Airy equation, including numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods, as well as analytical methods such as power series and integral transformations. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and desired level of accuracy.

5. Can the Airy equation be simplified for specific cases?

Yes, the Airy equation can be simplified for certain cases, such as when the refractive index of the medium is constant or when the wave amplitude is small. In these cases, the equation reduces to simpler forms that are easier to solve and interpret.