Solving a problem regarding Existence theorem.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem to determine if the equation dy/dx = y^4 - x^4 has a unique solution at point (0,7). The theorem states that if a function satisfies certain conditions, then the solution to an initial value problem is unique.
bravoman

Homework Statement

Given the equation dy/dx = y^4 - x^4, y(0) = 7, determine whether the existence/uniqueness theorem implies that the given initial value problem has a unique solution.

Homework Equations

Existence/Uniqueness Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

To my understanding, you must assign f(x,y) = y^4 - x^4 then derive f(x,y) in terms of y.

f'(x,y) = 4y^3

This is as far as I have gotten.

Physics news on Phys.org
bravoman said:

Homework Statement

Given the equation dy/dx = y^4 - x^4, y(0) = 7, determine whether the existence/uniqueness theorem implies that the given initial value problem has a unique solution.

Homework Equations

Existence/Uniqueness Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

To my understanding, you must assign f(x,y) = y^4 - x^4 then derive f(x,y) in terms of y.

f'(x,y) = 4y^3

This is as far as I have gotten.

What is the statement of the existence/uniqueness theorem? How does it apply in your case?

I need to use the theorem to determine of the equation dy/dx = y^4 - x^4 has a unique solution at point (0,7). Is that correct?

Ray Vickson said:
What is the statement of the existence/uniqueness theorem? How does it apply in your case?

bravoman said:
I need to use the theorem to determine of the equation dy/dx = y^4 - x^4 has a unique solution at point (0,7). Is that correct?
That isn't what Ray asked. What does the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem say?

FAQ: Solving a problem regarding Existence theorem.

1. What is the Existence Theorem?

The Existence Theorem, also known as the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that states the conditions under which a solution exists for a given problem. It is commonly used in the field of differential equations, but can also be applied to other mathematical and scientific problems.

2. How is the Existence Theorem used in problem solving?

The Existence Theorem is used to prove the existence of a solution to a given problem. It provides a framework for determining whether a solution exists and, if it does, what conditions must be met for that solution to be valid. This allows scientists to approach complex problems with a clearer understanding of what is needed to solve them.

3. What are the main assumptions of the Existence Theorem?

The main assumptions of the Existence Theorem vary depending on the specific problem being solved. However, there are some common assumptions that are often made, such as the existence of a continuous function, the uniqueness of the solution, and the existence of initial or boundary conditions.

4. Can the Existence Theorem be applied to all problems?

No, the Existence Theorem cannot be applied to all problems. It is most commonly used in mathematical and scientific fields that involve differential equations, but it may also be applicable to some other types of problems. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and conditions of the theorem before applying it to a specific problem.

5. What are the limitations of the Existence Theorem?

The Existence Theorem has some limitations that should be taken into account when using it to solve a problem. One limitation is that it only guarantees the existence of a solution, but not necessarily its uniqueness or stability. Additionally, the assumptions made for the theorem may not always accurately reflect the real-world conditions of a problem, leading to potential errors in the solution.