Solving a Problem with Air Mass: Calculating Pressure & Volume

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an airmass with a volume of 1200m^3, a pressure of 101kPa, and a temperature of 288K, moving vertically upwards. The pressure decreases to 80kPa and the temperature decreases to 270K. The question is to calculate the new pressure and how to use it in an equation. The second question asks for the original volume of the airmass under normal conditions and how to use it to calculate the airmass. The suggested solution is to use the combined gas law, solving for the unknown volume using the known values for pressure, volume, and temperature.
Izekid
Hi!
I have problem with this ...

A airmass with the volume 1200m^3 the presswure 101kPa and the temperature 288K moves vertical upwards. The pressure sinks to 80kPa and the temperature sinks to 270K.

Calculate the new pressure and I know how to use it

I take 101*1200/288 = 420 Is this right?

because v1*p1 /t1 = v2*p2/t2
And how do i make an equation of this?

and the second question is... how big volume would the airmass had in the normal conditions? Use that to calculate the airs mass...

And PLEASE no answer like this ... Use the Ideal Gas law... NO **** I had already found out that ...

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first half.. originally, you are given pressure, volume, and temp.
Pressure and temperature changes, so you should solve for volume, not pressure.

P*V = n*R*T

What you DON'T know, and have to calculate with the original three conditions is n*R.

Same gas, or mixture, n*R will be the same for the new pressure, temp and volume.

Last edited:
use the combined gas law

you have everything but v2
v2 = x (unkown volume)

(p1*v1)/t1 = (p2*X)/t2 solve for x (rearrange)

x= (p1*v1*t2)/ (t1*p2)

make sure your units are right

Related to Solving a Problem with Air Mass: Calculating Pressure & Volume

1. How do air mass and pressure affect each other?

Air mass and pressure are directly related, meaning that as air mass increases, so does pressure. This is because an increase in the amount of air molecules in a given space leads to more collisions and therefore higher pressure.

2. What is the formula for calculating pressure?

The formula for calculating pressure is P = F/A, where P represents pressure, F represents force, and A represents area. In the context of air mass, this formula can be used to calculate the pressure exerted by the air molecules on a given surface.

3. How does temperature affect air mass and pressure?

Temperature has a direct impact on air mass and pressure. As temperature increases, air molecules gain energy and move faster, leading to an increase in air mass. This increase in air mass also leads to an increase in pressure, as explained in the first question.

4. How can I calculate the volume of a given air mass?

The volume of an air mass can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for volume.

5. How can I use air mass and pressure to solve a problem?

To solve a problem using air mass and pressure, you will first need to gather all the necessary information, such as the pressure and volume of the air, as well as the temperature. Then, you can use the formulas and equations mentioned above to calculate the missing variables and solve the problem.