Solving a Simple Height Problem for a Home Run in Baseball | 120m Distance

• Thread starter mohabitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the conversation discusses a baseball player's attempt to hit a home run over the far wall of a stadium. The player hits the ball 1 meter above the ground with a speed of 38.2 m/s and an angle of 30 degrees. The question at hand is what is the tallest wall the player's ball can clear when it is 120m away. The conversation also includes a suggestion to use equations for the vertical height and horizontal distance to determine the time at which the ball reaches a horizontal distance of 120m and then use that time to calculate the vertical height. The method previously attempted is deemed incorrect due to incorrect application of formulas and lack of acceleration in the x-direction.
mohabitar
A baseball player wants to hit a home run over the far wall of a stadium. He hits the ball 1 meter above the ground so that its speed is 38.2 m/s and such that it makes an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the horizontal. What is the tallest wall the players ball can clear 120m away?

So I tried breaking down the velocity into its vertical and horizontal components, to get V[x]=33.08 and V[y]=19.1 m/s.

Then I used basic equations to find whatever values I could find, without any particular goal. So if d[x]=120 and V[x] 33.08, and final velocity is 0, then I can use v^2=u^2+2as, to get an acceleration of 4.55 m/s.

But really after this I had no idea where to head. Am I on the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
The goal here is to compute the vertical height of the ball when it is a horizontal distance of 120 m away from the launch point. This vertical height tells you the tallest wall that can be cleared. Does that make sense?

Well you I knew that part I just meant I was solving equations with no particular reason. How should I set this up?

You know equations for the height y vs time and the horizontal distance x vs time (in terms of the given parameters including launch speed, launch angle, and initial height).

If you can figure out the time at which x = 120 m, it stands to reason that you can then figure out the vertical height at that time.

Edit: the method you tried is incorrect since the final velocity (at max height) is not zero in the x-direction, so you have misapplied the formula you used. Furthermore, there is no acceleration in the x-direction, which means the formula you used does not apply at all.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the given information and the unknown variables. In this case, we are given the initial velocity (38.2 m/s), the angle of launch (30 degrees), and the distance to be cleared (120m). The unknown variable is the height of the wall that the ball can clear.

Next, I would use the equations of projectile motion to solve for the unknown variable. The key equation to use here is the range equation, which relates the horizontal distance traveled (range) to the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

Using the range equation, we can rearrange it to solve for the height of the wall:

h = (d[x] * tanθ) - (g * d[x]^2) / (2 * v^2 * cos^2θ)

Where:
h = height of the wall
d[x] = horizontal distance (120m in this case)
θ = angle of launch (30 degrees)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)
v = initial velocity (38.2 m/s)

Plugging in the values, we get:

h = (120 * tan30) - (9.8 * 120^2) / (2 * 38.2^2 * cos^2 30)
h = 35.4 m

Therefore, the tallest wall the player's ball can clear 120m away is 35.4 meters high. It is important to note that this calculation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account air resistance or other external factors that may affect the trajectory of the ball.

FAQ: Solving a Simple Height Problem for a Home Run in Baseball | 120m Distance

1. What is a simple height problem?

A simple height problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the height of an object or distance between two points using basic geometry and algebra. It typically involves using the Pythagorean theorem or similar formulas.

2. How do you solve a simple height problem?

To solve a simple height problem, you will need to identify the known values, such as the base and height of a triangle or the distance between two points. Then, you can use the appropriate formula, such as the Pythagorean theorem, to calculate the missing height or distance.

3. What are common applications of simple height problems?

Simple height problems are commonly used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and surveying to determine the height of buildings, distances between structures, and the angle of elevation or depression of objects.

4. What are some tips for solving simple height problems?

Some tips for solving simple height problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, labeling all known values and variables, and using the appropriate formula or equation to solve for the missing height or distance.

5. Can simple height problems be solved using technology?

Yes, simple height problems can be solved using a calculator or computer software that has built-in formulas and equations for calculating heights and distances. However, it is important to first understand the concept and steps involved in solving the problem before relying on technology.

Back