Solving a Skateboarder's Projectile Motion Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a skateboarder trying to calculate how far they will land from the end of a 1 meter ramp with a 30-degree incline and an initial velocity of 7m/s. They discuss considering air resistance and the equations needed to solve the problem. The importance of separating horizontal and vertical components is mentioned, as well as the use of a vector diagram to help find the vertical velocity.
Black-Enigma
1. A skateboarder starts at the bottom of a 1 metre ramp, with an incline of 30 degrees. The skateboarders initial velocity is 7m/s. How far will the skateboarder land from the end of the ramp?

I firstly worked out the hypotenuse and adjacent lengths of the ramp. I then worked out the velocity of the skateboarder at the end of the ramp. I am having trouble with piecing together the projectile motion. Could somebody help me through this problem. I am not looking for an answer, just help.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing is, is there any air resistance? Two other questions that will effect your answer, do you the force of gravity?

If there is not, finding the displacement will be easier for you. The first thing is, you will need to know is the horizontal and vertical velocities.

Do you also know what equations you will need?

P.S. If there is no air resistance, remember that the vertical and horizontal velocities are separate from each other.

Thanks for your response.If air resistance is not considered, how do I find out the vertical and horizontal velocities at the end of the ramp? For the equations, I would think just the usual kinematic equations, separated into horizontal and vertical components.

separating into horizontal and vertical components would be a good idea.

If you consider just the vertical part of the problem, the period of the jump is going to just be how long it takes gravity to overcome the skater's upward velocity.

it would be a very good idea to find out the vertical velocity, then with that, a lot of doors open up that leads to your answer.

Im having trouble finding the y velocity. I am not sure where to start.

Okay, Make a vector diagram of the ramp, the initial velocity at 30 degrees and you can then find the vertical velocity.

Remember this: when trying to work out a problem that at first does not make sense, draw a vector diagram (if applicable), it is remarkable how useful they really are.

Related to Solving a Skateboarder's Projectile Motion Problem

1. What is projectile motion and how does it apply to skateboarding?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. In skateboarding, this can refer to the trajectory of a skateboarder's jump or the motion of a skateboard as it is propelled through the air. Understanding projectile motion is important for skateboarders to accurately plan and execute their tricks.

2. How do you solve a skateboarder's projectile motion problem?

To solve a skateboarder's projectile motion problem, you will need to use the equations of motion and the principles of kinematics. This involves breaking down the problem into components, determining the initial velocity and angle of the skateboarder's jump, and using equations to calculate the height, distance, and time of their motion.

3. What factors can affect a skateboarder's projectile motion?

The three main factors that can affect a skateboarder's projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of their jump, and the force of gravity. Other factors that may also play a role include air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the surface of the ramp or obstacle that the skateboarder is jumping from.

4. How can understanding projectile motion improve a skateboarder's performance?

Understanding projectile motion can greatly improve a skateboarder's performance by allowing them to accurately plan and execute their tricks. By understanding the physics behind their movement, skateboarders can adjust their initial velocity and angle to achieve greater height or distance, and can also make more precise calculations to land their tricks more consistently.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help solve a skateboarder's projectile motion problem?

Yes, there are several online calculators and apps available that can help solve a skateboarder's projectile motion problem. These tools use the equations of motion and allow you to input the specific variables such as initial velocity and angle to calculate the height, distance, and time of the skateboarder's motion. Additionally, there are also physics textbooks and online resources that provide explanations and examples of how to solve projectile motion problems for various scenarios.