Solving a Spring/Force Problem: Mass, Spring Constant, and Acceleration

• Thread starter morrisj753
  • Start date
In summary, the equilibrium position of the mass m moves closer to the bottom of the box by a distance of ma/k when the box is accelerating with an acceleration of a. This can be found by subtracting the equilibrium position of the mass when the box is not accelerating, which is given by mg/k, from the equilibrium position with acceleration, which is mg+ma/k.
morrisj753

Homework Statement

A mass m is resting at equilibrium suspended from a vertical spring of natural length L and spring constant k inside a box. The box begins accelerating upward with acceleration a. How much closer does the equilibrium position of the mass move to the bottom of the box?

Diagram: http://www.aapt.org/Programs/contests/upload/olympiad_2008_fnet_ma.pdf
Problem 17
(Answer: ma/k)

Homework Equations

F = ma
F = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the forces acting are: the force of the spring (Fs), the weight of the object(Fg), and the force of the elevator (Fe).
Fe + fs - mg = ma
Fe - kx = m (a+g)
I thought this was correct but am not sure where to progress from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Be careful when specifying the forces that act on the mass m. Which of the three forces that you listed does not act on m?

Is the equation simply:
F_s = ma, where a is acceleration of box,
-kx = ma
x = ma/k

Last edited:
@Signature PF:
You might have made an error, because you forgot about the negative, it'd be x = - ma / k

@TSny:
Fe i suppose does not act directly on m, but the weight DOES directly affect the mass m.
The way the problem is worded, the weight overcame the force of the spring.
mg - (-kx) = ma
x = m (a-g) / k,
so I am still making an error somewhere

Morris - the sign is insignificant in this case, all it represents is compression vs extension. In this case, the negative is understood to mean that the spring is compressed, so I omitted it in the answer.

morrisj753 said:
Fe i suppose does not act directly on m, but the weight DOES directly affect the mass m.
The way the problem is worded, the weight overcame the force of the spring.
mg - (-kx) = ma
x = m (a-g) / k,
so I am still making an error somewhere

Right, the only two forces acting on m are the force of gravity and the spring force.

You will need to be careful with the signs. Since the box is accelerating upward, it might be good to take upward as the positive direction. So gravity exerts a force of magnitude mg downward while the spring force exerts a force of magnitude kx upward. When you fix the signs and solve for x, you will want to compare the result to the value of x when the box is not accelerating.

When the box is not accelerating:
kx = mg
x = mg / k

When the box has an acceleration a:
kx - mg = ma
kx = mg + ma
x = m(g+a) / k
Subtracting the two yields:
mg + ma - mg / k
= ma / k
This is the desired answer.

FAQ: Solving a Spring/Force Problem: Mass, Spring Constant, and Acceleration

What is a spring/force problem?

A spring/force problem involves finding the mass, spring constant, and acceleration of an object connected to a spring and experiencing a force. This type of problem is commonly encountered in physics and engineering.

How do I approach solving a spring/force problem?

The first step is to draw a diagram of the problem and identify all the given information. Then, apply Newton's Second Law, F=ma, to the object connected to the spring. Next, use Hooke's Law, F=-kx, to find the spring force. Finally, set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the unknown variables.

What is mass, spring constant, and acceleration?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration and is typically measured in kilograms. Spring constant, denoted as k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and is typically measured in Newtons per meter. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity and is typically measured in meters per second squared.

What are the units for mass, spring constant, and acceleration?

As mentioned, mass is measured in kilograms, spring constant is measured in Newtons per meter, and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared. It is important to pay attention to the units when solving a spring/force problem to ensure consistency and accuracy in the final answer.

Can I use the equations for mass, spring constant, and acceleration interchangeably?

No, the equations for mass, spring constant, and acceleration are specific to their respective quantities and cannot be used interchangeably. It is important to use the correct equation in a spring/force problem to find the correct solution.

Back