Solving a Static Problem with Conflicting Results

In summary, the problem involves a 5 ft long rod with a weight of 60 lb attached to a vertical wall by a clip and bound by a rope attached to a point on the wall 12 ft above the clip. The goal is to calculate the tension in the rope and the reaction on the clip. After drawing a free-body diagram and balancing the moments, the tension is found to be 32.5 lb and the horizontal force in the rod is 12.5 lb. Using Lami's theorem is not necessary and can lead to confusion. The resultant reaction force at the clip is 32.5 lb.
subho123
Static Problem...i am confused

Homework Statement

The Problem says " A rod is 5 ft long and its weight is 60 lb. one end of the rod is fastened to a vertical wall by a clip. other end is bound by a rop which is attached to point on the vertical wall situated at a 12 ft height from the clip. Now i have to calculate the tension of the rope & the reaction on the clip. "

Homework Equations

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/660/63432505.png

If i use the first figure then taking the moment of all the forces w.r.t the point A we get T x 60/13 = 60 X 2.5

T = 32.5 lb wt

again using lami's theorem on the 2nd figure

T/sin90 = 60/sinθ = R/sin(90 -θ)

T = 60/12/13 = R/5/13

using T = 32.5 lb wt we have R =(5/13)* 32.5 = 12.5 lb wt...

but if i use the lami's theorem directly then i get T = 60/12/13 = 65 lb wt...why i am getting two value of T ?

eventually the answer is that the value of T and R are 32.5 lb wt.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Start with drawing a free-body diagram showing all the forces on the rod.

i have drawn the diagram...can u pleasez help me out...

Balancing the moments about A, you should get
[tex]T\sin\theta l = mg\frac{l}{2}[/tex]

And I don't quite know these units, so i couldn't proceed. :P

that's why i have done above...but i am confused that when i am using lami's theorem..i am getting different result...

Don't use Lami's theorem unless 3 non-co-linear loads are applied at the same joint. Your 60 pound weight is not applied at the joint. Incidentally, while the tension is 32.5 pounds in the cable, the horizontal force in the rod is 12.5 pounds. The magnitude of the resultant reaction force at the clip (A) is 32.5 pounds (resultant of its A_x and A_y components). Don't confuse the two.

now i understand ..thanks very much...

FAQ: Solving a Static Problem with Conflicting Results

What is the definition of a static problem?

A static problem is a situation in which objects or particles are at rest or stationary. This means that there is no motion or change in position over time.

What causes a static problem?

A static problem can be caused by various factors such as friction, electrostatics, or gravitational forces. It can also occur when there is a lack of external forces acting on an object.

How can a static problem be solved?

To solve a static problem, it is important to identify and analyze all the forces acting on the object or particles. This can be done through the use of free-body diagrams and applying Newton's laws of motion.

What is the difference between a static problem and a dynamic problem?

The main difference between a static problem and a dynamic problem is that in a static problem, there is no motion or change in position over time, while in a dynamic problem, there is motion and acceleration involved.

What are some real-life examples of static problems?

Some examples of static problems in everyday life include a book sitting on a table, a person standing still on the ground, or a car parked in a parking lot. In all of these situations, there is no motion or change in position over time.