Solving a Statics Question - Reaction Force Ay

• Thread starter ikrom52
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the conversation is about a statics question regarding a boom supported by a ball and socket joint and a guy wire. The question asks for the magnitude of the reaction force Ay for equilibrium. The person is having trouble solving the problem due to too many unknown forces. A sketch and image of the question is provided. The solution involves taking moments about an axis parallel to Ax passing through B.
ikrom52
Hello, so I have a statics question which I am having trouble with.

The question is : A boom is supported by a ball and socket joint at A and a guy wire at B.If the loads in the cables are each 8kN and they lie in a plane which is parallel to the x-z plane, what is the magnitude of the reaction force Ay for equilibrium.

I made a sketch with all the forces but the problem is I am getting too many unknown forces to solve.So I am thinking maybe I wrongly showed the forces.My sketch is shown below and the questions image also.
Thanks

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2759/stsk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 8 kN forces each have vertical components of 4 kN. Take moments about an axis parallel to Ax but passing through B, and you get Ay directly from this equation.

ok thks ill try that

Related to Solving a Statics Question - Reaction Force Ay

1. What is a reaction force Ay in a statics problem?

A reaction force Ay is the vertical force exerted by a support or constraint on an object in a statics problem. It is often used to calculate the overall force balance in a system.

2. How do I calculate the reaction force Ay in a statics problem?

The reaction force Ay can be calculated by summing all the other forces acting on the object in the vertical direction and then taking the negative of that value. This is based on Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What are some common sources of error when calculating the reaction force Ay?

Some common sources of error include not considering all the forces acting on the object, not properly accounting for the direction of the forces, and not using the correct units in the calculation.

4. How can I ensure accuracy when solving a statics problem involving the reaction force Ay?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to carefully identify and consider all the forces acting on the object and their respective directions. It is also important to double-check units and calculations to avoid errors.

5. Can I use the reaction force Ay in a dynamic system?

No, the reaction force Ay is specific to statics problems and cannot be used in dynamic systems where the object is in motion. In a dynamic system, the force balance equation is more complex and involves other factors such as acceleration and inertia.

Back