Solving a Stationary Block on a Frictionless Wedge

In summary, the normal force is not the same as the gravity force. The normal force is a force that is normal to the surface of the wedge.
postfan

Homework Statement

This is a 2 part question.

A block of mass m rests on a frictionless wedge that has an inclination of theta and mass M.
a) Find the acceleration of the wedge M to the right such that the block m remains stationary relative to the wedge.
c) You now find out that a force of magnitude F was exerted (say, by somebody's hand) on the wedge as shown in the picture below. What is the magnitude F for which the block m remains stationary relative to the wedge? Use m, M, g, and theta.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a FBD but I can't fathom how acceleration in the horizontal will cause a block not to move in the vertical.

Attachments

• Picture for a.png
    Picture for a.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 629
  • Picture for b.png
    Picture for b.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 783
Physics news on Phys.org
postfan said:
I drew a FBD but I can't fathom how acceleration in the horizontal will cause a block not to move in the vertical.
What force does the wedge exert on the block? How is that affected by the acceleration?

Do a FBD of the block.

The force is the normal force which is m*g*cos(theta) but I don't get how the acceleration affects it.

postfan said:
The force is the normal force which is m*g*cos(theta) but I don't get how the acceleration affects it.
Yes, the force is the normal force. But no, the normal force does not equal m*g*cos(theta) when the wedge is accelerating. (It does when the wedge is fixed.) The greater the acceleration, the harder the wedge presses against the block.

Just call the normal force "N" and apply Newton's laws to the block for vertical and horizontal components.

Is the normal force m*(g+a)*cos(theta)?

postfan said:
Is the normal force m*(g+a)*cos(theta)?

That would look right if g and a were in the same direction, but they're not. Stop guessing: resolve forces and apply ƩF=ma in the vertical and horizontal directions in the usual way. What equations do you get?

In the vertical I get mg-mg*cos(theta)=ma a=g-g*cos(theta).
In the horizontal I get m*g*sin(theta)=m*a*sin(theta) a=g.

Is that right?

postfan said:
In the vertical I get mg-mg*cos(theta)=ma a=g-g*cos(theta).

Is that right?
Again, just call the normal force "N" (or any symbol of your choice). Rewrite those equations.

What must be the acceleration in the vertical direction if the block is not to slide down the wedge?

In the vertical I get mg-N=ma a=(mg-N)/m.

Is that right?

postfan said:
In the vertical I get mg-N=ma a=(mg-N)/m.

Is that right?
No. First, let's get the set of forces right.
1. List the forces, giving their directions.
2. Write out the horizontal and vertical components of each force.
Then, and only then, should you try to write out the equations.

Iin the vertical you have the normal force . In the horizontal you have gravity and the force pushing the block (to have acceleration you need a force) Is that right?

postfan said:
Iin the vertical you have the normal force .
A normal force means a force that is normal to (i.e. at right angles to) the surface. The surface is not horizontal, so the normal force is not vertical.
In the horizontal you have gravity
Last time I checked, gravity acts vertically.
and the force pushing the block (to have acceleration you need a force) Is that right?
Yes, F is horizontal.

postfan said:
In the horizontal you have gravity and the force pushing the block (to have acceleration you need a force) Is that right?
Careful. The force pushing the block is the normal force. Only two forces act on the block.

So in the vertical you have gravity and in the horizontal you have the force that is pushing the block. Is that right?

NO. That's what Doc Al has been trying to get you to see. gravity is vertical but the normal force, due to the wedge, is NOT horizontal. It is normal to the surface of the wedge. Separate it into normal and horizontal forces.

Ok so the the normal force is N*cos(alpha) and the horizontal force is N*sin(alpha). Is that right?

postfan said:
Ok so the the normal force is N*cos(alpha) and the horizontal force is N*sin(alpha). Is that right?
Let me restate what I think you're trying to say:

The normal force is N. The vertical component of that force is N*cos(theta); the horizontal component is N*sin(theta).

Good. Keep going.

Ok so from N2L the equations are N*sin(theta)=ma (x-axis) and N*cos(theta)-mg=0. Is that right?

postfan said:
Ok so from N2L the equations are N*sin(theta)=ma (x-axis) and N*cos(theta)-mg=0. Is that right?
Yes, that's right.

Ok so then the acceleration is (N*sin(theta))/m and the force is ((M+m)(N*sin(theta)))/m. Is that right?

postfan said:
Ok so then the acceleration is (N*sin(theta))/m and the force is ((M+m)(N*sin(theta)))/m. Is that right?

Yes. Now use the vertical force equation to substitute for N.

Ok, so N=mg/cos(theta) , hence a=mg/cos(theta)*sin(theta))/m which = g*tan(theta) and the force=(M+m)*g*tan(alpha). Is that right?

When you solve for the acceleration, do not express it in terms of the unknown normal force.

I did not express it in terms of the normal force.

postfan said:
I did not express it in terms of the normal force.
Ah, OK.

postfan said:
Ok, so N=mg/cos(theta) , hence a=mg/cos(theta)*sin(theta))/m which = g*tan(theta) and the force=(M+m)*g*tan(alpha). Is that right?
Yes, that's correct now.

Cool! Thanks for all your help!

Related to Solving a Stationary Block on a Frictionless Wedge

1. What is a stationary block on a frictionless wedge?

A stationary block on a frictionless wedge is a physical system where a block is placed on top of a wedge with no friction present between the two surfaces. This means that the block will not move or slide down the wedge on its own.

2. How do you solve a stationary block on a frictionless wedge?

To solve a stationary block on a frictionless wedge, you can use the principles of statics and the laws of motion. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the block and wedge, and using equations such as Newton's Second Law to find the resulting acceleration or lack thereof.

3. What factors affect the stability of a stationary block on a frictionless wedge?

The stability of a stationary block on a frictionless wedge is affected by the angle of the wedge, the mass and dimensions of the block, and the force of gravity acting on the block. Additionally, the coefficient of friction between the block and wedge can play a role in the stability of the system.

4. Can a stationary block on a frictionless wedge be in equilibrium?

Yes, a stationary block on a frictionless wedge can be in equilibrium if the sum of all the forces acting on the block and wedge is equal to zero. This means that the block is not moving and there is no acceleration in any direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving a stationary block on a frictionless wedge?

The principles used to solve a stationary block on a frictionless wedge can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. For example, they can be used to design stable structures or analyze the motion of objects on inclined surfaces.