Solving a Strange Derivative Problem

This is simpler than using the quotient rule. In summary, the conversation is about differentiating a function, specifically f(t)=\frac{t^5 + t^6 - 1}{t^7}. The initial attempt at solving it was incorrect, but the correct method involves dividing by t^7 and then using the sum rule and power rule to find the derivative. The quotient rule is not necessary in this case.
neutron star

Homework Statement

[tex]f(t)=\frac{t^5 + t^6 - 1}{t^7}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is different than the other problems I've been doing.

My first guess would be that I would do this:
[tex]f(t)=\frac{5t^4 + 6t^5}{7t^6}[/tex]
Is that the final answer or is there another step I need to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or simply write it as the sum

t^-2 + t^-1 - t^-7

nicksauce said:
Or simply write it as the sum

t^-2 + t^-1 - t^-7

Hey, thanks that was really helpful! I didn't think of dividing by t^7.

That made it easy! Thank you! I'll remember this if I get another similar problem!

neutron star said:
[tex]f(t)=\frac{t^5 + t^6 - 1}{t^7}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My first guess would be that I would do this:
[tex]f(t)=\frac{5t^4 + 6t^5}{7t^6}[/tex]
Is that the final answer or is there another step I need to do?
As already noted, this is wrong. If you carried out this differentiation without simplifying first, you would need to use the quotient rule. whs has already provided a link to an article on differentiation rules, so I won't give that link again. The upshot is that if f(x) = g(x)/h(x), f'(x) is NOT equal to g'(x)/h'(x), which is precisely what you did.

U must use quotient Rule!

fan_103 said:
U must use quotient Rule!
That's not necessary in this problem. As nicksauce already suggested, the OP can carry out the division and then use the sum rule and the power rule.

Related to Solving a Strange Derivative Problem

1. What is a strange derivative problem?

A strange derivative problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of an unknown quantity. These problems often involve complex functions or unusual scenarios that can make them challenging to solve.

2. How do I solve a strange derivative problem?

To solve a strange derivative problem, you must use the rules of calculus to find the derivative of the given function. This involves identifying the independent and dependent variables, applying the appropriate derivative rules, and simplifying the resulting expression.

3. What are some common types of strange derivative problems?

Some common types of strange derivative problems include optimization problems, related rates problems, and implicit differentiation problems. These types of problems often involve real-world applications and can be found in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. What are some tips for tackling a strange derivative problem?

One tip for solving a strange derivative problem is to carefully read and understand the given problem, identifying the given information and what is being asked for. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or create a table of values to visualize the problem. Additionally, practicing various derivative rules and techniques can be beneficial in solving these types of problems.

5. Why are strange derivative problems important?

Strange derivative problems are important because they allow us to analyze and understand the rate of change of a quantity in various scenarios. This can be applied to real-world situations, such as predicting the growth of a population or determining the maximum profit for a business. Additionally, the process of solving these problems helps improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Back