Solving a third order DE with Maple

• Thread starter ehilge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions to a third order non-linear differential equation using the Maple program. The focus is on finding polynomial solutions and potential methods include substitution and solving a system of equations.
ehilge

Homework Statement

This problem relates to using a numerical analysis program called Maple. My question is not related to how to run the program, but the appropriate steps needed to solve the equation. So even if you aren't familiar with the program, please try to help me out.

Consider the third order non-linear differential equation: (y'')(y''')=y

a) Solve this equation in Maple.

b) Find all polynomial soltions y(x)= a0 + a1x + a2x2 + ... a5x5 of this equation (It turns out that these are all solutions that are polynomial)

Homework Equations

none that I'm aware of at this point

The Attempt at a Solution

a) the output from Maple is shown in the attached screenshot

b) I have thought over this for awhile and I can't think of a good methods to finding the polynomials. The only ways I have been taught to solve a high order DE is through reduction of order, which is impossible since I don't have a solution I can work with. And variation of parameters, which I can't see working very well. Also, I'm thinking that the solution to (b) might have something to do with interpreting the solution found in (a) since there is a polynomial part in there. But again, I don't see how to create a polynomial solution out of it. So, any ideas on how to find the polynomial solutions, and particularly what steps I could take with the computer to get there?
thanks!

Attachments

• maple image.bmp
    192.3 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am not familiar with the Maple program, but I can offer some general steps that may help you solve this equation.

First, let's rewrite the equation as follows:

y''' = (y/y'')'

Now, let's try to find a solution by assuming that y is a polynomial of the form y(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x^2 + ... + anxn. Substituting this into the equation, we get:

y''' = 6anxn-3 + 12an-1xn-2 + 6an-2xn-1

(y/y'')' = (3anxn-2 + 2an-1xn-1 + an-2xn)/(2anxn-2 + 2an-1xn-1)

Setting these two expressions equal to each other and simplifying, we get:

3anxn-2 + 2an-1xn-1 + an-2xn = 6anxn-3 + 12an-1xn-2 + 6an-2xn-1

Rearranging and grouping like terms, we get:

(3a - 6)anxn-2 + (2a - 12)an-1xn-1 + (a - 6)an-2xn = 0

This is a system of equations in terms of the coefficients a0, a1, a2, ... , an. Solving this system will give us the polynomial solutions to the original equation.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Related to Solving a third order DE with Maple

1. Can Maple solve any third order differential equation?

Yes, Maple has the ability to solve a wide range of third order differential equations using its built-in functions and algorithms.

2. What are the steps to solve a third order DE with Maple?

The general steps to solve a third order differential equation with Maple are:

1. Define the differential equation using the "diff" function.
  2. Use the "dsolve" function to solve the equation.
  3. Specify the initial conditions, if applicable.
  4. Use the "subs" function to substitute the initial conditions into the solution.
  5. Use the "evalf" function to evaluate the solution at specific values, if needed.

3. Can Maple provide a numerical solution for a third order DE?

Yes, Maple has the ability to provide both exact symbolic solutions and numerical solutions for third order differential equations. The user can specify the desired precision for the numerical solution using the "evalf" function.

4. Can I plot the solution to a third order DE with Maple?

Yes, Maple has a built-in "plot" function that can be used to plot the solution to a third order differential equation. The user can specify the range of values for the independent variable and the desired number of points for the plot.

5. Are there any limitations to solving a third order DE with Maple?

While Maple is a powerful tool for solving third order differential equations, there may be some equations that it is unable to solve. This could be due to the complexity of the equation or the limitations of the algorithms used by Maple. In such cases, it may be necessary to use other software or analytical methods to find a solution.

Back