Solving a Tough Integral with Maple's Tutor

• Maple
  • Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the tough integral in my math exam that I failed to solve was x=-3sin(t). After that, I used maple's tutor to learn how to solve it. I understood all steps but the first. My problem is that I don't know what function of x, u is. My next step is to study the Wolfram solution and find my error.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
There was a tough integral in my math exam that I failed to solve it and so left it blank.After that I used maple's tutor to learn how to solve it.I understood all steps but the first.My problem is that I don't know what function of x, u is.

[tex] \int \! \frac{dx}{ x-\sqrt {9-{x}^{2}}}=\int \!4\,{\frac {u}{-1+{u}^{4}+2\,{u}^{3}+2\,u}} {du}[/tex]

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First try x=3sin(t). That should eliminate the square root and that will give you a integral of a function containing sin(t) and cos(t).

Then, try the substitution u=tan(t/2). That should give you the right-hand side.

Last edited:
'Tis a tough one

The 1st substitution x=3sin t will simplify to
Integral cos t / [ sin t - cos t ] dt

This is perfect for the Tangent Half Angle Method
sometimes called Weierstrass Method.
Let u = tan (t/2)

One needs some experience to arrive at the 4th order polynomial
you have but it is the correct one. Then partial fraction expansion
is called for.

See the near full solution at www.wolframalpha.com

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral++cos+x+/+[+%28sin+x+-+cos+x%29+]++dx
[ You may need to cut and paste this link ]

One still needs to back substitute.

I did as you said but I got integral below which doesn't seem to be convertable to the right side of the equality in my first post.

[tex] {2} \int \! \frac {1-{t}^{2}} {{t}^{4}+{2}{t}^{3}+{2}{t}-{1}} {dt} [/tex]

You may need to click on "Show Steps" in the upper right hand corner
to see the step by step solution.
Tangent Half Angle Method converts a rational trig integrand to a rational algebraic integrand.
But you need some experience as I mentioned as the details do look complex.

Study the Wolfram solution and you should find your error

Note it is still a long way to the final Antiderivative.
Partial Fraction Expansion is required and then back substitution

Keep at it. It will feel good to do such an involved integration

Ooooops double post
Sorry

Last edited:
I think our professor thought we are professors too. :confused:
Any way.I got it.Thanks

Shyan said:
I think our professor thought we are professors too. :confused:

Reconsidered post deleted

Last edited:
I think the most obvious method is, after applying the substitution x=3sin(t), just multiply numerator and denominator by sin(t)+cos(t) and then apply the double angle formulas.

I remember solving this sort of problems in high school FP3...best way to do is to remove square root by a suitable substitution.

I don't think anyone saw the shortcut: once you do the trig substiution, do this

[tex]\int \frac{\cos x}{\sin x - \cos x}\; dx =
\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{\cos x + \sin x}{\sin x - \cos x}
-\frac{\sin x - \cos x}{\sin x - \cos x} \;dx[/tex]

which is easily

[tex]\frac12\left(\ln|\sin x - \cos x| - x)+C[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Solving a Tough Integral with Maple's Tutor

1. How can Maple's Tutor help me solve a tough integral?

Maple's Tutor is a powerful tool that can assist you in solving a tough integral by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. It can also provide hints and suggestions to guide you towards the correct solution.

2. Is Maple's Tutor suitable for all types of integrals?

Yes, Maple's Tutor is suitable for a wide range of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals, as well as multi-variable integrals. It can also handle both symbolic and numerical integrals.

3. Can I customize the settings on Maple's Tutor?

Yes, Maple's Tutor allows you to customize various settings such as the integration method, integration limits, and the level of detail in the step-by-step solution. This allows you to tailor the tool to your specific needs and preferences.

4. Will Maple's Tutor always provide the correct solution?

While Maple's Tutor is a powerful tool, it is not infallible. It is always important to double-check the solution and make sure it is mathematically sound. If you encounter any issues or discrepancies, you can seek help from online forums or consult with a math expert.

5. Can I use Maple's Tutor for educational purposes?

Yes, Maple's Tutor is a great learning tool for students who want to better understand the steps and techniques involved in solving integrals. It can also be a useful tool for teachers to demonstrate and explain the integration process to their students.