Solving Absolute Value Inequalities: Steps & Link to Yahoo! Answers

In summary, the conversation is about solving the inequality $a - \left| \dfrac{1}{bxy}\right| = b$ and includes all the necessary steps. The solution involves considering different cases based on the value of $a$ and $b$, and results in a branch of an equilateral hyperbola on the first quadrant if $a>b$ or an empty set if $a\le b$.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

Solve the following inequaltities: a - l 1/bxy l = b
l = absolute value
Please include all the steps. Thank you!

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I suppose you mean: solve the equality $a - \left| \dfrac{1}{bxy}\right| = b$. In such case, necessarily $b\ne 0$ and $xy\ne 0$. Denote $D_1=\{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^2:x>0,y>0\}$ the open first quadrant, then $$a - \left| \dfrac{1}{bxy}\right| = b\Leftrightarrow a-\frac{1}{|b|xy}=b\Leftrightarrow y=\frac{1}{(a-b)|b|}\frac{1}{x}$$
If $a>b$ we get a branch of an equilateral hyperbola on $D_1$. If $a\le b$, the empty set. You can follow similar arguments for the rest of open quadrants.

Related to Solving Absolute Value Inequalities: Steps & Link to Yahoo! Answers

What is "Equality with absolute value"?

"Equality with absolute value" refers to the concept of treating two quantities as equal regardless of their signs. This means that if two numbers have the same absolute value, they are considered equal.

How is absolute value represented?

The absolute value of a number is represented by two vertical bars surrounding the number, such as |5| or |-3|. This notation indicates that the number inside the bars is being considered without its sign.

What is the significance of equality with absolute value in mathematics?

Equality with absolute value is important in mathematics because it allows us to compare numbers without being influenced by their signs. This concept is particularly useful when solving equations or inequalities.

Can two different numbers have the same absolute value?

Yes, two different numbers can have the same absolute value. For example, both 3 and -3 have an absolute value of 3, making them equal when considering absolute value.

How is equality with absolute value different from regular equality?

In regular equality, two expressions are considered equal only if they have the exact same value. However, in equality with absolute value, two expressions can be considered equal even if their values differ by a sign. This means that absolute value equality is a more flexible concept than regular equality.