Solving Algebraic Problem to Calculate Vector Operator Rotation

In summary, solving algebraic problems to calculate vector operator rotation involves using mathematical equations and principles to determine the rotational motion of a vector in three-dimensional space. This process requires knowledge of vector operations, such as dot and cross products, as well as concepts like torque and angular velocity. By solving for the necessary variables, such as the angle and axis of rotation, the vector operator rotation can be accurately calculated and applied in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics.
IsNoGood

Homework Statement

I'm trying to comprehend
[itex]\hat{P}_t^{-1} \left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{A} \right) \hat{P}_t = \
\cos{\Psi\left(t\right)}\left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{A} \right) - \sin{\Psi\left(t\right)} \sigma \cdot \left[ \hat{a}\left(t\right) \times \vec{A} \right] + 2\sin^2{\frac{\Psi\left(t\right)}{2}} \left[ \hat{a}\left(t\right)\cdot\vec{A} \right]\left[\vec{\sigma}\cdot\hat{a}\left(t\right)\right]
[/itex]
with [itex] \vec{\sigma} [/itex] as the usual vector of pauli matrices, [itex] \vec{A} [/itex] as an (more or less) arbitrary operator vector and [itex] \hat{a} [/itex] as the axis of the rotation represented by [itex]\hat{P}_t[/itex].

Homework Equations

I already know [itex] \left[ \vec{\sigma},\vec{A} \right]_- = \left[ \vec{\sigma},\hat{a} \right]_- = \left[ \hat{a},\vec{A} \right]_- = 0[/itex].

Further on, the following identities are given (time dependencies [itex]\left(t\right)[/itex] omitted):
(I) [itex]
\hat{P}_t = \cos{\frac{\Psi}{2}} - i\left(\vec{\sigma}\cdot\hat{a}\right) \sin{\frac{\Psi}{2}}
[/itex]
(II) [itex]
\left( \vec{m}\cdot\vec{\sigma} \right) \left( \vec{n}\cdot\vec{\sigma} \right) = \
\vec{m}\cdot\vec{n} + i\vec{\sigma} \cdot \left( \vec{m} \times \vec{n} \right)
[/itex]
(III) [itex]
\vec{m}\times\left(\vec{n}\times\vec{l}\right) = \vec{n}\left(\vec{m}\vec{l}\right) - \vec{l}\left(\vec{m}\vec{n}\right)
[/itex]

Just in case I forgot something important, the problem appears in Physical Review A 80, 022328, page 3 (http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v80/i2/e022328" ).

The Attempt at a Solution

I desperately reproduced the following steps over and over again (so I'm relatively sure they are correct). But I just don't know where to go from there:

[itex]\hat{P}_t^{-1} \left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{A} \right) \hat{P}_t
[/itex]

using (I), i obtain:
[itex] \left[\cos{\frac{\Psi}{2}} + i\left(\vec{\sigma}\cdot\hat{a}\right) \sin{\frac{\Psi}{2}}\right]\cdot\
\left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{A} \right)\cdot\
\left[\cos{\frac{\Psi}{2}} - i\left(\vec{\sigma}\cdot\hat{a}\right) \sin{\frac{\Psi}{2}}\right]
[/itex]

expanding, using [itex] \sin{\frac{\Psi}{2}}\cdot \cos{\frac{\Psi}{2}} = \frac{1}{2} \sin{\Psi} [/itex] yields:
[itex]
\cos^2{\frac{\Psi}{2}} \left(\vec{\sigma}\vec{A}\right) +\
\frac{i}{2} \sin{\Psi} \left[ \left( \vec{\sigma} \hat{a} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma} \vec{A} \right) - \left( \vec{\sigma} \vec{A} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma}\hat{a} \right) \right] +\
\sin^2{\frac{\Psi}{2}} \left( \vec{\sigma}\hat{a} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma}\vec{A}\right) \left(\vec{\sigma}\hat{a}\right)
[/itex]

using (II) two times on [itex] \left( \vec{\sigma} \hat{a} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma} \vec{A} \right) - \left( \vec{\sigma} \vec{A} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma}\hat{a} \right) [/itex] together with [itex] \left[\hat{a},\vec{A}\right]_- = 0 [/itex] yields:
[itex]
\cos^2{\frac{\Psi}{2}} \left(\vec{\sigma}\vec{A}\right) -\
\sin{\Psi} \vec{\sigma} \left( \hat{a} \times \vec{A} \right) +\
\sin^2{\frac{\Psi}{2}} \left( \vec{\sigma}\hat{a} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma}\vec{A}\right) \left( \vec{\sigma}\hat{a} \right)
[/itex]

I'm reasonably sure so far, especially as [itex] -\sin{\Psi} \vec{\sigma} \left( \hat{a} \times \vec{A} \right) [/itex] is a part of the solution. However, I can't see how (III) comes into play. The best i tried further on is again using (II) yielding:
[itex]
\cos^2{\frac{\Psi}{2}} \left(\vec{\sigma}\vec{A}\right) -\
\sin{\Psi} \vec{\sigma} \left( \hat{a} \times \vec{A} \right) +\
\sin^2{\frac{\Psi}{2}} \left[ \hat{a}\vec{A} + i\vec{\sigma} \left(\hat{a} \times \vec{A} \right) \right] \left( \vec{\sigma}\hat{a} \right)
[/itex]

However, this yet leaves me without any good idea how to go on.
I guess there is "just" some nifty algebra trick I constantly fail to see ... so every help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It's astonishing how long one can stare at an expression without the slightest idea until suddenly out of nowhere it seems absolutely clear where to go.
I'm not done yet because I've got something different to do, but I think I finally got the "nifty trick".
Will post again if it turns out to be correct!

OK, did the calculation, everything is fine now.

Related to Solving Algebraic Problem to Calculate Vector Operator Rotation

What is a vector operator rotation and why is it important?

A vector operator rotation is a mathematical process used to calculate the rotation of a vector in a three-dimensional space. It is important because it allows us to understand and manipulate vector quantities, which have many applications in physics and engineering.

What are the steps involved in solving an algebraic problem to calculate vector operator rotation?

The steps involved in solving an algebraic problem to calculate vector operator rotation are:
1. Identify the initial and final position of the vector.
2. Determine the axis of rotation.
3. Find the angle of rotation.
4. Use the rotation matrix or quaternion formula to calculate the rotated vector.
5. Verify the solution by checking if the magnitude and direction of the rotated vector are correct.

What is the difference between using a rotation matrix and a quaternion formula to solve a vector operator rotation problem?

A rotation matrix is a 3x3 matrix that represents a rotation in three-dimensional space. It is a more intuitive approach for solving vector operator rotation problems, but it involves more calculations. On the other hand, a quaternion formula is a more efficient method that uses complex numbers to represent rotations. It requires fewer calculations, but it may be more difficult to understand for some people.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebraic problems to calculate vector operator rotation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebraic problems to calculate vector operator rotation are:
- Forgetting to convert angles to radians.
- Using the wrong rotation matrix or quaternion formula.
- Misinterpreting the axis of rotation.
- Confusing the order of operations in the rotation formula.
- Forgetting to verify the solution by checking the magnitude and direction of the rotated vector.

How can I apply the concept of vector operator rotation in real life?

The concept of vector operator rotation can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as:
- Understanding the motion of objects in physics, such as the rotation of a wheel or the movement of a pendulum.
- Designing and programming 3D animations or video games.
- Calculating the orientation of a satellite or spacecraft in space.
- Solving problems in engineering, such as determining the direction and magnitude of forces acting on a structure.
- In navigation, to calculate the direction and distance between two points on a map.