Solving An Initial Value DE Using Variation of Parameters

In summary, the problem is that the student is having difficulty understanding the textbook, and they need to find a solution to the following problem: (x^2-1)\frac{dy}{dx}+2y=(x+1)^{2}-y'=f(x)y+g(x)
Lancelot59
I need to find a solution to the following problem:

[tex](x^{2}-1)\frac{dy}{dx}+2y=(x+1)^{2}[/tex]
[tex]y(0)=0[/tex]

I decided to try using variation of parameters. My teacher was unable to show any examples, and I'm having issues understanding the textbook.

From what I see I need to get it onto this form:
[tex]y'=f(x)y+g(x)[/tex]

I think this is correct
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{(x+1)^{2}-2y}{x^{2}-1}=\frac{-2}{x^{2}-1}y+\frac{(x+1)^{2}}{x^{2}-1}[/tex]

Now what do I need to do? I'm having trouble understanding the textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah shoot I don't know if I helped, but

(1) SHouldn't you solve the homogenous solution first?

(2) After you did (1), there should be two constraints

flyingpig said:
Ah shoot I don't know if I helped, but

(1) SHouldn't you solve the homogenous solution first?

(2) After you did (1), there should be two constraints

What is the homogenous solution? What constraints?

Oh, dear. Flying Pig was assuming you were actually taking a course in differential equations. After all, if you mention "variation of parameters", people are going to assume that you know what "variation of parameters" means and that therefore you know what the "associated homogeous equation" is since you must use the solutions to the associated homogenous equation in the variation of parameters method.

The associated homogenous equation for your equation is what you get when you drop all terms that are not multiples of y or its derivative:
[tex](x^2- 1)\frac{dy}{dx}+ 2y= 0[/tex]
Can you solve that?

Once you have a solution, [itex]y_0(x)[/itex], to that, "variation of parameters" requires that you seek a function u(x) such that [itex]y(x)= u(x)y_1(x)[/itex].

Well I got:

[tex]y=e^{2arctanh(x)}c_{1}[/tex]
[tex]c_1=e^{c}[/tex]

But with the initial condition y(0)=0 this doesn't work. C1 would need to be 0 and that can't happen.

Related to Solving An Initial Value DE Using Variation of Parameters

1. How does variation of parameters work in solving an initial value differential equation?

Variation of parameters is a method used to solve a non-homogeneous linear differential equation. It involves finding a particular solution to the equation by varying the parameters of the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation.

2. What are the steps involved in using variation of parameters to solve an initial value differential equation?

The steps involved in using variation of parameters are:
1. Find the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation.
2. Find the Wronskian of the two linearly independent solutions to the homogeneous equation.
3. Use the Wronskian to find the particular solution.
4. Substitute the particular solution into the original differential equation and solve for the remaining constant.
5. Use the initial conditions to find the specific solution to the initial value problem.

3. Can variation of parameters be used for all types of differential equations?

No, variation of parameters can only be used for non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It cannot be used for non-linear equations or equations with non-constant coefficients.

4. Is there a specific order in which the parameters should be varied?

No, the order in which the parameters are varied does not affect the solution. However, it is important to make sure that the parameters being varied are linearly independent solutions to the corresponding homogeneous equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using variation of parameters?

Yes, variation of parameters may not work for all non-homogeneous linear differential equations. If the non-homogeneous term is not of the form e^(ax), sin(ax), or cos(ax), then this method may not be applicable.