Solving an integral by substitution method

In summary: How do I know when to use each one of them, 1/0 That if I use \displaystyle\int_{}^{}u^ndu=\displaystyle\frac{u^{n+1}}{n+1}+CWell, I don't know if its clear what I'm trying to say,...but, How do I know when to use each one of them, or why in the first case I can't use \displaystyle\int_{}^{}u^{-1}du=\ln(u)+CIn summary, the conversation revolved around solving indefinite integrals using various techniques such as substitution and integration by parts. The first integral discussed was \displaystyle\int_
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. I'm dealing with undefined integrals now. And I found this one that I don't know how to solve.
The problem statement says: Solve the next integrals using the substitution method.

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin^3(x)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this way, but I don't know how to continue, and maybe there is a simpler way for solving it.

I thought of this substitution:

[tex]u=\sin^3(x)[/tex]

[tex]du=3\sin^2(x)\cos(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]du=3\cos(x)[1-cos^2(x)]dx[/tex]
[tex]du=3\cos(x)dx-3\cos^3(x)dx[/tex]

But then I don't know how to use it in my integral: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin^3(x)}[/tex]

Any suggestion?

Bye.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try a different substitution for u. I see two basic functions, one of which is the derivative of another one in your integral. Can you spot them?

Telemachus said:
I'm dealing with undefined integrals now.
I think you mean indefinite integrals, ones without limits of integration.

Also don't forget the dx. As the integration techniques become more complicated, omitting this will come back to bite you.

Thanks. I've solved it using [tex]u=sin(x)[/tex]

Sorry for the misspelling, my English is not too good :P

Now, here is another one, which I've also solved, but when I've tried to corroborate it on derive I've found a different result from which I've found:

I must solve: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cosh(\ln(x))}{3x}dx[/tex]

So I've proceeded this way:

[tex]u=ln(x)[/tex]
[tex]du=\displaystyle\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex]

And then:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cosh(\ln(x))}{3x}dx=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cosh(\ln(x))}{x}dx=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cosh(u)du=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}sh(u)+C=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}sh(ln(x))+C[/tex]

But derive gives:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cosh(\ln(x))}{3x}dx=\displaystyle\frac{x}{6}-\displaystyle\frac{1}{6x}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Bye there!

Telemachus said:
Thanks. I've solved it using [tex]u=sin(x)[/tex]

Sorry for the misspelling, my English is not too good :P

Now, here is another one, which I've also solved, but when I've tried to corroborate it on derive I've found a different result from which I've found:

I must solve: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cosh(\ln(x))}{3x}dx[/tex]

So I've proceeded this way:

[tex]u=ln(x)[/tex]
[tex]du=\displaystyle\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex]

And then:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cosh(\ln(x))}{3x}dx=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cosh(\ln(x))}{x}dx=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cosh(u)du=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}sh(u)+C=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}sh(ln(x))+C[/tex]

But derive gives:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cosh(\ln(x))}{3x}dx=\displaystyle\frac{x}{6}-\displaystyle\frac{1}{6x}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Bye there!
i believe they are using the definitions of the cosh and sinh functions. [tex]\sinh x = \tfrac12\left(e^x - e^{-x}\right)[/tex]

Thanks, I think you're right.

Now, is this right?

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\sin(t)\cos(t)}{\sqrt[ ]{3\sin(t)+5}}dt[/tex]

I've used:

[tex]u=3\sin(t)+5\Rightarrow{\sin(t)=\displaystyle\frac{u-5}{3}}[/tex]

[tex]du=3\cos(t)dt[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\sin(t)\cos(t)}{\sqrt[ ]{3\sin(t)+5}}dt=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\sin(t)3\cos(t)}{3\sqrt[2]{3\sin(t)+5}}dt=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\displaystyle\frac{u-5}{3}du}{3\sqrt[2]{u}}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}(u\sqrt[ ]{u}-5\sqrt[ ]{u})du=[/tex]

[tex]=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}(u^{3/2}-5\sqrt[ ]{u})du=\displaystyle\frac{2}{5}u^{5/2}-\displaystyle\frac{10}{3}u^{3/2}+C=\displaystyle\frac{2}{5}(3\sin(t)+5)^{5/2}-\displaystyle\frac{10}{3}(3\sin(t)+5)^{3/2}+C[/tex]

cosh(x) = (1/2)*(e^x + e^-x)
&
e^ln(x) = x
then:
cosh(ln(x)) = (1/2)*(e^ln(x) + e^-ln(x)) = (1/2)*(x - 1/x)

now you have no problem doing that integral.

Last edited:
Thank you gomunkul51.

For the Integral:

[tex]
\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cos(x)} {\sin^3(x)}
[/tex]

Try integration by parts.

V=1/sin(x)
U'=cos(x)/sin^2(x)

Can you do the rest?

I've solved it using [tex]u=sin(x)[/tex] [tex]du=cos(x)[/tex]

Now...

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cos^3(x)\sin^4(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]u=\sin(x)[/tex]
[tex]du=cos(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1\Rightarrow{cos^2(x)=1-\sin^2(x)}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cos^3(x)\sin^4(x)dx=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}(1-\sin^2(x))\sin^4(x)\cos(x)dx=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}(\sin^4(x)-\sin^6(x))\cos(x)dx=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}(u^4-u^6)du=\displaystyle\frac{u^5}{5}-\displaystyle\frac{u^7}{7}+C=\displaystyle\frac{\sin^5(x)}{5}-\displaystyle\frac{\sin^7(x)}{7}+C[/tex]

Did I make any mistake on this?

For:
[tex]
\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cos(x)} {\sin^3(x)}
[/tex]

If you want to use substitution try:

t=1/sin^2(x)

differentiate it and see how it can help you :)

*for the future in those trig integral try to find your substitutions by picking not the whole nominator or denominator but just a part of it as in taking just sin^2(x) from sin^3(x) and integrating or differentiating a seeing where it got you !

This is what I did:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cos(x)} {\sin^3(x)}[/tex]

[tex]u=\sin(x)[/tex]
[tex]du=\cos(x)dx[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin^3(x)}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{du}{u^3}=\displaystyle\frac{u^{-2}}{-2}+C=\displaystyle\frac{1}{-2\sin^2(x)}+C[/tex]

On:

[tex]
\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cos^3(x)\sin^4(x)dx
[/tex]

you right.
you did a great job, very efficient and quick integration.

Thank you gomunkul51.

One of the things you could have done is used
[tex]
\cos^{3}x=\cos x (1-\sin^{2})
[\tex]
and then you can integrate easily.

Ok. I have one more doubt about this. For example in this case, as I solved:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{\cos(x)} {\sin^3(x)}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{du}{u^3}=\displaystyle\frac{u^{-2}}{-2}+C=\displaystyle\frac{1}{-2\sin^2(x)}+C[/tex]

Particularly this part:
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{du}{u^3}=\displaystyle\frac{u^{-2}}{-2}+C[/tex]
I just applied that [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}u^ndu=\displaystyle\frac{u^{n+1}}{n+1}+C[/tex]

right?

But when I have [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{du}{u}=\ln(u)+C[/tex]

I know that it is because of the that the derivative of [tex]ln(x)=\displaystyle\frac{1}{x}[/tex], and if I've used what I did in the previous case it would drive me into an undefined, I mean if I do

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{du}{u}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}u^{-1}du=1/0[/tex] That if I use [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}u^ndu=\displaystyle\frac{u^{n+1}}{n+1}+C[/tex]

Well, I don't know if its clear what I'm trying to say, anyway...

The integral
[tex]
\int x^{n}dx=\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}+c
[/tex]
doesn't apply with the case of 1/x

hunt_mat said:
The integral
[tex]
\int x^{n}dx=\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}+c
[/tex]
doesn't apply with the case of 1/x
In other words, when n = -1.

You got it right, integral of 1/x is ln(x)
any other power of x you use that power rule you used.

It all comes down to the fundamental theorem of calculus really.

Related to Solving an integral by substitution method

1. How do you know when to use the substitution method to solve an integral?

The substitution method is used when the integral contains a function within a function. This can be recognized by the presence of a composite function, such as f(g(x)), or when the integral resembles the derivative of a function.

2. What is the general process for solving an integral by substitution method?

The general process for solving an integral by substitution method involves identifying the substitution variable, substituting it into the integral, finding the derivative of the substitution variable, and then solving the resulting integral using basic integration techniques.

3. Can the substitution method be used for all types of integrals?

No, the substitution method can only be used for certain types of integrals, particularly those that have a composite function or resemble the derivative of a function. Other techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions may be more appropriate for other types of integrals.

4. How do you choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable should be chosen in a way that simplifies the integral. This can be done by choosing a variable that is present in the integral or by choosing a variable that can be easily integrated. It is also important to choose a variable that will eliminate any constants or coefficients in the integral.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the substitution method to solve an integral?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to substitute back the original variable after solving the integral. It is also important to check for any restrictions on the substitution variable and to properly manipulate the integral before substituting in the variable. Additionally, it is important to double check the final answer by taking the derivative to ensure it is equivalent to the original integrand.