Solving an Optimization Problem with Two Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses an optimization problem involving two functions, f_1 and f_2, with multiple variables. The objective is to maximize f_1 with respect to the x variables and f_2 with respect to the y variables. These functions can be seen as utility functions in a game theoretical problem where two agents control different sets of variables. The conversation then moves on to discussing the possibility of calculating a Nash Equilibrium for this problem, which involves solving a system of nonlinear equations. The speaker suggests using calculus or writing a program to solve the problem.
Or Entity?
I have an optimization problem and I am looking for a method rather than a solution here. I'll state it in a general form.

Let there be two functions: [itex]f_1(x_1,\cdots, x_n,y_1,\cdots, y_n )[/itex] and [itex]f_2(x_1,\cdots x_n,y_1,\cdots, y_n )[/itex].

Maximize [itex]f_1[/itex] with regards to variables [itex]x_1,\cdots, x_n[/itex] with [itex]y_1,\cdots, y_n[/itex] fixed at the values that maximizes [itex]f_2[/itex].

Maximize [itex]f_2[/itex] with regards to variables [itex]y_1,\cdots, y_n[/itex] with [itex]x_1,\cdots, x_n[/itex] fixed at the values that maximizes [itex]f_1[/itex].

You could regard them as two utility functions in a game theoretical problem where where agent 1 controls [itex]x_1,\cdots, x_n[/itex], and agent 2 controls [itex]y_1,\cdots, y_n[/itex]. Both utility functions depends on the choices of both players.

Any ideas of how to solve this? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Nash equilibria?

Of course, its exactly what I want to do, calculate Nash Equilibrium for a case where each of the two agents controls a continuous function of multiple variables. Any idea of how these kinds of problems are solved?

Or Entity? said:
Of course, its exactly what I want to do, calculate Nash Equilibrium for a case where each of the two agents controls a continuous function of multiple variables. Any idea of how these kinds of problems are solved?
The only way I know is to assign a probability vector of choices to each player. Express the outcome (for player 1, say) as function of this, and apply calculus to max wrt player 1's vector and min wrt player 2's. A lot of work, generally.
But in your case, the choices are continuous variables, right? So that makes it a calculus of variations problem, I guess. In practice, I would write a program to hunt.

Or Entity? said:
I have an optimization problem

You limited your audience to those who already know about "Nash equilibrium" because you didn't state an optimization problem. You stated two different problems and did not explain any relation between them.

Stephen Tashi said:
You limited your audience to those who already know about "Nash equilibrium" because you didn't state an optimization problem. You stated two different problems and did not explain any relation between them.

I don't know if I agree. The problem is an optimization task stated in the first post. How could later confirming that it is (or equivalent to) a search for Nash equilibrium (just terminology) be a disadvantage?

I guess that it is possible in principle to regard both functions as function of both x's and y's and take the partial derivatives of the first wrt x's and the second wtr of y's, ending up with n nonlinear equations of n variables. Solving and then looking for maximums (nummerically).

Or Entity? said:
I don't know if I agree. The problem is an optimization task stated in the first post..

Without the specifics of how agents in a game might act, the optimization task stated in the first post can only be interpreted as two unrelated optimization problems.

The first problem stated would be solved by the steps:

1. Maximize [itex] f_2 [/itex] with respect to all its variables
2. Set the [itex] y [/itex] variables in [itex] f_1 [/itex] equal to the [itex] y [/itex] values of the answer into step 1. and maximize [itex] f_1 [/itex] with respect to the [itex] x [/itex] variables.

If that isn't what you meant then you need to explain the meaning of the phrase
with [itex] y_1,\dots,y_n [/itex] fixed at the values that maximizes [itex] f_2 [/itex]

The second optimization task you state is equivalent to the first. It just uses different notation.

I agree that looking at the system of equations defined by setting the partial derivatives of the varying variables equal to zero might be the thing to do. You didn't say whether [itex] f_1 [/itex] and [itex] f_2 [/itex] are differentiable functions.

Related to Solving an Optimization Problem with Two Functions

1. What is an optimization problem with two functions?

An optimization problem with two functions involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a target function while taking into account the constraints of a second function.

2. What are some common examples of optimization problems with two functions?

Examples of optimization problems with two functions include finding the optimal production level for a company to maximize profits, or determining the shortest route for a delivery truck while minimizing fuel costs.

3. How do you solve an optimization problem with two functions?

The most common method for solving an optimization problem with two functions is using the method of Lagrange multipliers, which involves finding the critical points of the target function while considering the constraints of the second function. Other methods include the simplex method and the gradient descent method.

4. What are the challenges of solving an optimization problem with two functions?

Solving an optimization problem with two functions can be challenging because it requires finding the right balance between maximizing or minimizing the target function and satisfying the constraints of the second function. It may also involve complex mathematical calculations and can be time-consuming.

5. How can solving an optimization problem with two functions be useful?

Solving an optimization problem with two functions can be useful in various fields, including economics, engineering, and computer science. It allows for the optimization of a system or process, leading to increased efficiency and better decision-making. It can also help in understanding the relationship between multiple variables in a given scenario.