Solving Angular Momentum Problem: Dividing by L/4 Explained

In summary: Angular momentum is the measure of the rotational motion of an object. Linear momentum is the measure of the translational motion of an object.
paki123
I got a homework problem the other day, and it was a conservation of angular momentum problem. Basically a bullet hits a rod, and a rod starts to spin. I needed to find how fast the rod was rotating.

I didn't get the answer right, but I was looking up the answers, and it says that to convert it to the angular momentum, I had to divide my linear momentum by l/4(because the bullet strikes the rod l/4 over the center of mass.)

So it looked like this:

P = Linear Momentum = M(b)*V(b) + M(r)*V(r)

AM =Angular Momentum = (I(b)+I(r))*ω

P*L/4 = AM and then solve for ω
Why does dividing by L/4 get me to Angular momentum?

Or was initial momentum suppose to be covering linear momentum and angular momentum?

So Initial Momentum should have been (initial Linear momentum + initial Angular momentum )
and Final Momentum should have been (final linear momentum + final angular momentum)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer you've shown seems that it would only apply if the bullet completely stops after impact with the rod, a somewhat elastic collision. If the bullet continues to move after impact (including getting imbedded into the rod), then part of the angular and linear momentum of the system composed of bullet + rod remains in the bullet.

If the bullet completely stops, then it's linear momentum equals the impulse the bullet imparts to the rod. You can then treat the problem as an impulse applied to the rod at a point 1/4 the length of the rod away from the rod's center of mass.

I forgot to mention that. You are right, the bullet does get embedded into the rod. But I'm still not getting the intuition of why L/4 is being multiplied. Is there any connection between linear and angular momentum?

paki123 said:
P*L/4 = AM and then solve for ω
Why does dividing by L/4 get me to Angular momentum?
It's multiplying and not dividing.
P*L/4 is the angular momentum of the bullet (in respect to the center of mass) right before collision. What you have there is conservation of angular momentum for the collision.
You don't need to "convert" linear momentum to angular momentum. The bullet has both.

First of all, it's great that you are actively seeking to understand the solution to the problem you encountered. Understanding the reasoning behind a solution is an important aspect of being a scientist.

In this case, dividing by L/4 is a way to account for the fact that the bullet strikes the rod at a specific point, which is 1/4 of the way from the center of mass. This means that the bullet's momentum will contribute to the rod's angular momentum, but only a fraction of it. By dividing by L/4, you are essentially scaling down the bullet's momentum to account for its distance from the center of mass.

To answer your question about initial and final momentum, it is important to note that momentum is always conserved in a closed system. This means that the total initial momentum (linear and angular) must equal the total final momentum. In this problem, the initial linear momentum of the bullet and the rod will be equal to the final linear momentum of the spinning rod. Similarly, the initial angular momentum of the bullet and the rod will be equal to the final angular momentum of the spinning rod.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the solution to the problem. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to always question and seek understanding in order to fully grasp concepts and solve problems effectively.

FAQ: Solving Angular Momentum Problem: Dividing by L/4 Explained

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important to solve problems involving it?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is important to solve problems involving angular momentum because it helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects and is a fundamental concept in physics.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which an object rotates around an axis).

3. Why is dividing by L/4 commonly used when solving angular momentum problems?

Dividing by L/4 is commonly used when solving angular momentum problems because it simplifies the equation and allows for easier calculations. This technique is often used when dealing with rotational motion around a fixed axis.

4. Can you explain the reasoning behind dividing by L/4 in more detail?

Dividing by L/4 is based on the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of an object rotating around a different axis is equal to the moment of inertia around its center of mass plus the distance between the two axes squared. In problems where the object's axis of rotation is a distance L/4 away from its center of mass, dividing by L/4 simplifies the calculation of angular momentum.

5. Are there any limitations to using the L/4 method when solving angular momentum problems?

Yes, the L/4 method is only applicable when the axis of rotation is a distance L/4 away from the object's center of mass. If this condition is not met, the L/4 method may not provide an accurate solution and alternative methods may need to be used.