Solving Anova Table? (stats problem)

In summary, if you only have the starting salary and the number of employees, you can calculate the model SS and the regression SS. You can also find the f statistic and probability.
zoiberg137
Here is the problem:

The data referred to in this question were collected on 41 employees of a large company. The company is trying to predict the current salary of its employees from their starting salary (both expressed in thousands of dollars). The following is ANOVA table for simple linear regression:

Its not letting me copy and paste the table, but I am given three numbers here. The df, the model ss, and the total ss. I need the f statistic and probability. How can I possibly solve this?

Every video I look up shows how to find the f and p statistics show how to insert numbers into three or four lists, which makes sense, except that I don't have three or four lists worth of numbers. I only have the three numbers to work with. I am using a ti 84. Please help! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, here is an update. I get how to fill in the anova table for the ss and ms column. I think i understand how to calculate the f statistic by dividing the first ms number by the second ms number. What I still don't understand is how to get the probability. What numbers exactly do I put into my "lists"?

1. Take a screen shot of the table. Save the screen shot as a bmp or jpg and upload it into a post. This might help.

2. I don't know TI products specifically, but there should be an option under statistics for F distributions. I think it is going to Fcdf( or something like that. This requires the F-calculated value, the upper value (infinity), and the degrees of freedom). For infinity you can write in a very large number or E99.

IF you have two of the three sums of squares you can find the third:
SSTotal=SSFit + SSE

If you have one of the numbers of degrees of freedom you can find the others since you know the sample size
Once you have the sums of squares and the degrees of freedom you can find the required mean squares (mean square in each case = sum of squares divided by corresponding df)

Once you have the mean squares you can calculate the test statistic, and once you have that you can use it and the relevant dfs to find a p-value or required critical value

All you need to do is use the provided information and formulas to build the pieces of the complete table

Related to Solving Anova Table? (stats problem)

1. What is an Anova Table and how is it used?

An Anova Table, short for Analysis of Variance table, is a statistical tool used to compare the means of three or more groups. It is used to determine if there is a significant difference between the means of the groups, which can help identify which group is responsible for the difference.

2. How do you interpret the results of an Anova Table?

The results of an Anova Table can be interpreted by looking at the F-statistic and p-value. The F-statistic measures the variation between the groups and the variation within the groups. A higher F-statistic indicates a bigger difference between the group means. The p-value indicates the probability of obtaining the observed results if the null hypothesis (no difference between the group means) is true. A p-value less than 0.05 is typically considered statistically significant.

3. What is the difference between a one-way and two-way Anova Table?

A one-way Anova Table is used when there is only one independent variable (factor) being studied, while a two-way Anova Table is used when there are two independent variables being studied. The two-way Anova Table can determine if there is a significant interaction between the two independent variables, in addition to comparing the means of the groups.

4. What assumptions should be met before using an Anova Table?

Before using an Anova Table, the data should meet the following assumptions: 1) the data is normally distributed, 2) the variances of the groups are equal, and 3) the observations are independent. Violations of these assumptions can lead to inaccurate results.

5. How can I perform an Anova Table in a statistical software program?

There are many statistical software programs that can perform an Anova Table, such as SPSS, R, and SAS. The process may vary slightly between programs, but generally, you will need to input your data, select the appropriate Anova test, and interpret the results. It is important to have a basic understanding of the software and the assumptions of the test before performing an Anova Table.